Several Deco units connected in parallel to a router and working as APs?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-18 12:21:39 - last edited 2022-11-18 12:26:11
Model: Deco X55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello,

I want to connect 3 Deco units directly to a main router via Ethernet + 1 Deco unit using Wireless. All working in AP mode.

I attach a picture of what I mean:

Will this work? If yes, how do I set the Decos through the smartphone app in order to create one and the same WiFi network?

Once I set the first one to create a WiFi network, how do I set a secont one to be within the same network if it is not connected to the first one, but a main router (which is not a Deco unit)?

Thanks

Peter

Options
8 Reply
Re:Several Deco units connected in parallel to a router and working as APs?
2022-11-18 12:53:23
I'm not sure you can as each node needs to communicate within the mesh over the management channel. I'm guessing you want to do this to extend the distance - you could simply configure both with the same SSID / password. Wouldn't be a mesh but would allow you to 'roam' between them.
Options
2022-11-18 12:53:58 - last edited 2022-11-18 12:56:06

@digitalpr 

This will work. I have identical Deco mesh setup at my house, different Deco model but setup is the same.

This will be the end result of your setup and note that placement of Main Deco is very important. Make sure it is placed that way. Steps to configure are after that image.

Steps to configure and set your Deco mesh:

1. Connect first Deco from the set with Ethernet cable to the router and configure it as Main Deco, following instructions that should have come with Deco set.

2. Verify Main Deco is up and running, shows as online in Deco app. Change Deco mesh Operation Mode to Access Point: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

3. Verify that Main Deco runs in Access Point mode: it should show online in Deco app, Operation Mode shows as Access Point.

4. Bring next, powered off, Deco unit in close proximity to Main Deco, but do not wire that Deco unit with Ethernet cable. Power it on and add as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh: How to add an additional unit to your Deco network

5. Verify Satellite Deco is OK: shown as online in Deco app. Bring it to its permanent place and either wire with Ethernet cable or if it is far right AP in your picture - leave it wirelessly connected to Main Deco.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the rest of Deco units.

7. Done.

------

If everything with Deco mesh works fine, it is recommended to turn off WiFi in the router, so that only Deco mesh provides WiFi coverage at your place.

------

An optimal placement of wireless Satellite Deco should show its Signal level as Fair or Strong, in Deco app. If Signal is reported as Weak, Satellite Deco is too far from Main Deco.

Ethernet wired Satellite Deco should show its connection as Ethernet in Deco app. If it does not, review this document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2022-11-18 13:12:49 - last edited 2022-11-18 13:12:59

@Alexandre. 

If I have a Main Deco as you suggest, will all of them be in one and the same WiFi Mesh network?

DHCP will be only enabled in the main router, right?

Should I set AP mode only on the Main Deco, or on all of them? 

Options
2022-11-18 14:14:53

@digitalpr 

If I have a Main Deco as you suggest, will all of them be in one and the same WiFi Mesh network?

Yes, they will.

DHCP will be only enabled in the main router, right?

Yes, main router will provide DHCP. All devices on your network, including Deco nodes, will get their IP addresses from main router.

Should I set AP mode only on the Main Deco, or on all of them? 

The Operation Mode configuration setting applies to all Deco mesh nodes. 

Options
2022-11-18 14:27:59

@Alexandre. 

Thanks a lot for the prompt answers! Will do it in the next few days and will give a feedback.

Options
2022-11-20 07:28:55

@Alexandre. 

I bought 3 pack X55 and connected them the way you suggested. Everything works fine :) Probably I will skip buyng a 4th one, since it seems they are enough to cover the house.

Thanks for the help!

One more question - Deco units are accessible through the Deco app without the need to be on the same network. The app credentials (user and pass) are held by tp-link. We all know it's not rare these days such data to leak in internet. This was all the security goes into the trash. Is there a way to block the app access? 

Options
2022-11-20 14:04:08 - last edited 2022-11-20 16:49:53

digitalpr wrote

One more question - Deco units are accessible through the Deco app without the need to be on the same network. The app credentials (user and pass) are held by tp-link. We all know it's not rare these days such data to leak in internet. This was all the security goes into the trash. Is there a way to block the app access? 

@digitalpr 

Deco is consumer grade system, it is created to make life simple for end user, and for TP-Link Deco Tech Support. TP-Link can see not only your app credentials, but how many Deco nodes you have on your home network, their versions, and possibly even what devices connect to them. Deco app and Deco nodes communicate with TP-Link cloud and there is no way to avoid that.

None of that information is privacy critical and unlikely to be abused against you. 

If you are concerned that app credentials are stored at TP-Link side, set your Deco mesh account with disposable email address and password you don't use anywhere else. This is what I usually do, my email provider allows me to create up to 500 unique email addresses. Any Internet resource that wants my email and I am concerned with privacy - I produce new email address and share with them.

That also helps to find who leaks your info. Once, I started to receive Verizon Wireless emails with ads and promos sent to email address I registered with Skype. As I stopped using Skype at that point, I just deleted this disposable email address in my email account configuration settings page.

I suggest you make this your practice, if you are concerned with privacy. Not every email provider is that generous with disposable email addresses, so check what yours offers.

My main email address I share rarely and only with very trusted parties, and it stays very much spam free for years.

---------------

The thing that concerned me more is what would happen if TP-Link goes bankrupt or decides to shut down its Deco offering (or your country forbids TP-Link from doing business in it).

TP-Link reassures that Deco mesh nodes can keep running without connecting to TP-Link cloud. You would lose ability to manage Deco mesh, but it won't go down, giving you ample time to select different WiFi mesh brand to replace Deco. That gives me sufficient piece of mind.

---------------

To end this on positive note. TP-Link Deco has nice undocumented feature greatly improving its resiliency in Deco mesh configuration like yours. If you have multiple Ethernet wired Deco nodes, run Deco mesh in AP mode and Main Deco goes down - remaining Satellite Deco will keep running. Their LED might switch to Red, Deco app might start alerting you've lost Main Deco - but WiFi signal will continue and any device connected to Satellite Deco will have Internet access.

Deco app will offer to promote one of wired Satellite Deco to Main Deco.

This is nice feature, as even with Main Deco unit hardware failure you are not losing all of your Deco mesh.

If you have time, you can test that by powering off Main Deco.

Options
2022-11-20 15:34:47 - last edited 2022-11-21 08:59:41

@Alexandre. 

This way TP-Link knows everything about my home network and the devices. For example when exactly am I at home (my phone connected to the nework).

Very disappointing in terms of privacy and security... Not happy at all and I consider returning the Deco devices.

At least TP-Link must implement 2FA in the Deco app!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1473

Replies: 8

Related Articles