Can the Deco X90 benefit from 1.5 gigabyte fiber?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-19 10:51:19

I just bought the Deco x90 to replace my old early Orbi WiFi 5 mesh   I have 1 gigabyte download and 500 mps upload from my ISP.    I was thinking about upgrading to 1.5 gigabyte download 500upload or 1 gigabyte down and 1 gigabytes up. .    I see potential bottlenecks with the  it having only one 2.5 gigabyte port and the other being 1 gigabyte...... I am assuming that it is not possible to achieve higher then 1 gigabyte on WiFi 6 even if using wired backhaul so I would connect the 2.5 gigabyte port to my ISP then the other port is only 1 gigabyte so whatever I wire into that port will be capped at 1 gigabyte   My pc, or another x90 or anything else would not get 1.5 gigabytes from my isp, even if I added a multi gigabyte switch, etc.  am I wrong in my assumption? 

now I will talk about my current setup.  I am in a 3 story townhouse using the 2nd 5G band as backhaul  first Deco main unit is on the first floor.  I get up to 800 mps on WiFi. I am I impressed. My old Orbi setup maxed out around 300 mbs. On WiFi.  3rd floor I have 2nd deco.  It was a challenge to find the spots with best coverage .... I am getting speeds up to 500 mps on the second x90. My old Orbi did 300 mps on the Satellite as well.     I couldn't keep the x 90 in the same spot as my old Orbi system.  Both x 90 units I put near windows so the signal doesn't have to travel through all the walls but it does sacrifice the 2nd floor a bit.  The signal is shows\ 3 bars connected to main deco so assuming I can't get any better.

Now to my point mentioned above.   I know I couldn't achieve 1.5 gigabytes on my 2nd Deco but I don't think it could be done on the main one either because of that 1 gigabyte port.   

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can the Deco X90 benefit from 1.5 gigabyte fiber?
2022-11-19 12:52:14 - last edited 2022-11-19 12:53:19

@Genobkk 

You should be able to get WiFi speeds in excess of gigabit from WiFi6 link between Main Deco X90 and WiFi6 device supporting latest in WiFi6.

Also, with your placement of second Satellite X90 you've got 500Mbps there.

This is where 2.5Gbps Ethernet port on X90 and ISP speed exceeding gigabyte makes sense:

You have wired devices connected to Main Deco X90 on its gigabit Ethernet port and these wired devices heavily utilize Internet connection.

You have wireless devices that can get over gigabit from connecting to Main Deco and somewhat less from Satellite Deco.

The total utilization exceeds gigabit, it makes sense to have faster than gigabit connection to ISP, and 2.5Gbps Ethernet port.

---------

Another case where 2.5Gbps Ethernet port makes sense:

You have wireless device connected to Main Deco X90 at about gigabit speed heavily utilizing that link.

You have another wireless device connected to Satellite Main Deco X90 at about 500Mbps speed heavily utilizing that link.

The total utilization exceeds gigabit.

Options
Re:Can the Deco X90 benefit from 1.5 gigabyte fiber?
2022-11-20 06:11:47

@Alexandre. Ok thanks.  So no one device can get full use because of lack of multi Gigabyte ports but still the device will utilize gigabit plus speeds and share it since it has the one 2.5 gigabyte LAN.     It looks likes next generation routers and Mesh systems solve this  but at a heavy price tag   I was looking at TP-links WiFi 7 line up for next year.   It makes since no one device needs such speed but it would be nice for super fast downloads 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 225

Replies: 2

Related Articles