Group Key Renewal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Group Key Renewal

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Group Key Renewal
Group Key Renewal
2022-11-28 07:10:13 - last edited 2022-12-03 16:59:33
Model: Archer AX55  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20220621 rel 71166 (4341)

Greetings. I'm new to this site and I have purchased my first TP-Link router. My question is more out of curiosity than anything else. I was going through the router configuration settings. When I came upon the setting for "Group Key Renewal" I was a little surprised to see the default setting was 0 (zero). Meaning no renewal. Pretty much everything I've read about this setting, the default has been 3600 seconds or one hour.

Given the difficulty of cracking a long and complex password, I felt that an hourly group key renewal was redundant. Does the software engineers at TP-Link think the same way or am I completely wrong about what the function of a group key is. The default value is 0 so the engineers don't think its important to renew the key as a timed event. Am I right?

Cheers.   

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Group Key Renewal-Solution
2022-12-03 16:58:44 - last edited 2022-12-03 16:59:33

@Stone_Horse 

I case someone else is interested; after doing some internet digging I've answered my own question. 3600 seconds for "Group Key Update Period" looks to be the industry standard. The value set in the AX55 router (perhaps in other TP-Link models as well) is set to zero (0) meaning no update. I was curious as to why no update as a default setting. Then I came across this today:

"There is one instance in which the group key interval should be set to 0. When you have WI-FI extenders in your home. Then, set the extender’s group key interval to some value."

So there it is. Since I'm not using my AX55 as a mesh router, I had originally set the router's group key update period to 3600 and I will leave it at that setting.

S.H.               

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Group Key Renewal
2022-11-29 01:50:39
Hello?
Options
Re:Group Key Renewal-Solution
2022-12-03 16:58:44 - last edited 2022-12-03 16:59:33

@Stone_Horse 

I case someone else is interested; after doing some internet digging I've answered my own question. 3600 seconds for "Group Key Update Period" looks to be the industry standard. The value set in the AX55 router (perhaps in other TP-Link models as well) is set to zero (0) meaning no update. I was curious as to why no update as a default setting. Then I came across this today:

"There is one instance in which the group key interval should be set to 0. When you have WI-FI extenders in your home. Then, set the extender’s group key interval to some value."

So there it is. Since I'm not using my AX55 as a mesh router, I had originally set the router's group key update period to 3600 and I will leave it at that setting.

S.H.               

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Group Key Renewal
2023-05-01 16:09:46

@Stone_Horse I have heard that there are a few devices around that will effectively drop the connection momentarily when asked to re-key and this could cause problems.

So it's probably okay to re-key every hour, just remember that if you have a device that keeps losing its connection for a moment re-keying could possibly be the cause.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 8398

Replies: 3

Related Articles