Deco P9 ethernet not working?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-12-28 20:28:57 - last edited 2022-12-30 19:41:30
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057

Hello,

Yesterday I was installing two sets of Deco P9 units, but I ran into a problem.

My house is made of two separate lots, with two different utilities contract, so two different power circuits. One side has the internet connection, and we have a long ethernet cable from the switch on one side to a switch on the other side. This was working perfectly with a standard access point (except for blind spots) before moving to a mesh system.

I want to connect the main Deco P9 (on one side of the house) to a secondary P9 (on the other side) through the ethernet cable, and then connect other satellite P9s to this secondary unit, either by WiFi or preferably, powerline.

Internet -> Main P9 -> switch -------------------------------- switch -> secondary P9 -----> all other P9s.

I have this setup already, and I get slow internet because Secondary P9 connects to the Main P9 via WiFi (a long way). Sometimes it's one of the other P9s that connect via WiFi to the main P9. Not even when only Main and Secondary were installed did they connect through ethernet.

I read the FAQ here and Q4 says that ethernet and powerline backhauls cannot be used at the same time. I don't understand if it means between the same two P9 (main and secondary), or on P9 use it between different P9s (Main to secondary through ethernet, and secondary to all other through powerline). Does anybody know?

Also, both switches are D-Link. I read somewhere that D-Link switches cause probles with Decos. Before spending the money on new ones (one of them is PoE), could this be the issue?

I'm new to Decos and so far, I am impressed. They are very easy to set up, and fixing this little issue would make everything perfect.

Thanks!

Luis

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco P9 ethernet not working?-Solution
2022-12-28 21:27:13 - last edited 2022-12-30 19:41:30

@luisalonsoramos 

It is most likely D-Link switches that are the problem. You can test that quite easily. Bring secondary P9 to where Main Deco is and connect them directly to each other:

Internet -> Main P9 -> secondary P9 

This should work and you should see secondary P9 using Ethernet link. If it does, use first switch and connect secondary P9 to it, so that you have:

Internet -> Main P9 -> switch -> secondary P9

Does secondary P9 report Ethernet link? If it does not, the switch is not compatible.

To verify if one or both switches are not compatible, bring second switch (I'll call it switch 2) to Main P9 and make the following link:

Internet -> Main P9 -> switch 2 -> secondary P9

Does secondary P9 report Ethernet link now? If it does not, both your switches are not compatible. 

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco P9 ethernet not working?-Solution
2022-12-28 21:27:13 - last edited 2022-12-30 19:41:30

@luisalonsoramos 

It is most likely D-Link switches that are the problem. You can test that quite easily. Bring secondary P9 to where Main Deco is and connect them directly to each other:

Internet -> Main P9 -> secondary P9 

This should work and you should see secondary P9 using Ethernet link. If it does, use first switch and connect secondary P9 to it, so that you have:

Internet -> Main P9 -> switch -> secondary P9

Does secondary P9 report Ethernet link? If it does not, the switch is not compatible.

To verify if one or both switches are not compatible, bring second switch (I'll call it switch 2) to Main P9 and make the following link:

Internet -> Main P9 -> switch 2 -> secondary P9

Does secondary P9 report Ethernet link now? If it does not, both your switches are not compatible. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco P9 ethernet not working?
2022-12-30 19:40:42 - last edited 2022-12-30 19:41:28

@Alexandre. Thank you for your reply. The switches were the issue. I had a spare TP-Link that I used to replace the first switch. For the second switch, I just connected the P9 directly to the ethernet wire (that goes to the first switch on the other side), and everything worked great immediately.

A second not-D-Link switch is on its way :)

Thanks and happy new year!

Luis

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 492

Replies: 2

Related Articles