Deco prefers Wi-Fi connection to cable

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-02 21:33:52
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

I have deco 3 pieces m4. They are connected via switch from modem via cable. Living room and office quite close to each other and bedroom one floor above. For some reason one two that are not set as main tent to connect via Wi-Fi instead of cable. 

can I disable Wi-Fi to force connection between deco units by cable?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco prefers Wi-Fi connection to cable
2023-01-03 01:14:26

@Ufin 

Deco will use Ethernet connection when it can, switching to WiFi only when it can't. This TP-Link FAQ document may help you to figure why your Satellite Deco can't use Ethernet link: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2023-01-05 22:07:50

@Alexandre. Thanks alexandre. Can you help me understand 

1) does the topology in picture one mean I have to use first Ethernet port on main deco as incoming and second as out cable to next deco satellite

2) does the picture two for star topology mean I have to use on main deco one of the Ethernet port as incoming from modem and second port as outgoing to switch itself 

min other words 

currently I had modem/router from mikrotik connected to switch, and thee deco satellites on switch.

3)  in the article it refers one satellite as router. Is it equivalent of "setting main deco" in application 

Options
2023-01-05 22:17:03

@Ufin 

If your Deco setup is as following:

then I would recommend to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode. That will make all Deco nodes use Ethernet for backhaul. See How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Options