Wifi Problems Deco P7 with Speedport Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-03 14:52:00

Hi,

since beginning i have problems wirh wifi.

I have a speedport router from telekom and 3x Deco P7, one in each floor. Several times a day (around 30-50x) I loose connection wether on deco wifi or direct on speedport wifi (2nd i use for photovoltaic inverter in technic room where the router is placed.) I spoke several times with telekom Support. Connection and router seems to be ok. They told me they are quite sure the problem is that deco and router are in the same electrical grid. Can help me

somebody out? 

Thanks in advance.

Christoph

Options
6 Reply
Re:Wifi Problems Deco P7 with Speedport Router
2023-01-03 15:45:43

@obag87 

If you lose connection that often, 30-50 times a day, 1-2 times each hour, I would suggest to power off Deco set, by unplugging all three Deco units, and see if connection to speedport router will be lost even without Deco units.

The explanation from telecom Support makes little sense, but it is first line support and as soon as they hear you have "third party networking gear" they most likely to dismiss escalation as "not our problem, third party hardware issues." Because of that, testing connectivity without Deco is a must.

If you can have Windows PC or laptop directly connected to router Ethernet port and can leave it running for 12-24 hours, I can share simple script to report when Internet connection goes down. You can run it at night with Deco powered off, when your household does not need Deco WiFi coverage.

I used that script when I troubleshooted similar issue at my home and ISP Support was adamant it is not their issue. Turned out, it were.

Options
2023-01-03 20:09:35

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre, thx for the fast reply👍 I would appreciate if you send me the skript. I can make the test tomorrow evening over night.

Kind Regards

Christoph

Options
2023-01-03 20:46:43 - last edited 2023-01-03 20:48:36

@obag87 

About the script.

The script will ping well known web site. It will stay silent if ping is successful, but when ping fails it will start reporting failure with time stamp. When connection recovers and ping successful again, script becomes silent again.

I'll share two versions of the script: one with output to the screen and another that writes output to the text file C:\Internet.log

You must run that script from powershell window. Script that writes to file requires powershell under admininstrator priviledges.

Just copy text of the script to powershell window, press Enter and that's it.

Make sure for that test you set PC/laptop not to go to sleep, under System/Power settings. Turning monitor off is OK, but sleep should be set to Never, for the duration of test.

Script 1, writes output on screen:

ping -t 8.8.8.8 | Foreach {"{0} - {1}" -f (Get-Date),$_} | Select-String -Pattern 'bytes=' -NotMatch 

Script 2, writes output to file:

ping -t 8.8.8.8 | Foreach {"{0} - {1}" -f (Get-Date),$_} | Select-String -Pattern 'bytes=' -NotMatch | Out-File -FilePath C:\Internet.log -Append

Note that each script is one line, if forum web site splits it to multiple lines - copy them to Notepad and merge back to one line, before copying to powershell window.

To test, start the Script 1, unplug Ethernet cable from PC/laptop and observe output. Plug cable back, and in a moment script will go silent. Example of script output with Internet connection lost at 3:44:39 PM and recovery at 3:44:49 PM:

PS C:\> ping -t 8.8.8.8 | Foreach {"{0} - {1}" -f (Get-Date),$_} | Select-String -Pattern 'bytes=' -NotMatch

1/3/2023 3:43:47 PM -
1/3/2023 3:43:47 PM - Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
1/3/2023 3:44:39 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:40 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:41 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:42 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:43 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:44 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:45 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:46 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:47 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:48 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.
1/3/2023 3:44:49 PM - PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Options
2023-01-13 11:48:52

@Alexandre. 

Hi Alexandre. Its me again.

Thanks for your support. I did the test 50 min. ago but unfortunately it doesnt start pinging. attached a screenshot. What could be wrong. Its directly connected to router by ethernet. TP Decos are disconnected. Internet on laptop works.

Thank you

Christoph

Options
2023-01-13 16:38:52

@obag87 

The script works as designed. It stays silent when everything is fine.

Start script again and to simulate Internet connection outage disconnect Ethernet cable from laptop. In a few moments you should start seeing script output.

Plug cable back, and in few moments script will go silent again. 

The start and end time of script output is the start and end time of connectivity outage. 

Options
2023-02-27 20:38:33

@Alexandre. 

I used your script while directly connected to Router by Ethernet cable. While Ive disconnected all TP Link Decos. 2 interruptions in 3 days. Than I connected the Decos and started the script again. 42 interruptions in 3 days.

See picture attached.

Does somebody have any idea?

Would appreciate it.Thanks in advance

Christoph

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 354

Replies: 6

Related Articles