OC200 Connection timed out

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-07 23:23:19 - last edited 2023-02-21 01:25:23
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 5.7.6

Hi there,

I've had intermittent issues with not being able to connect to the controller over the local network, specifically from a browser. I'm using an OC200 which I have kept up to date. The issue has persisted across many firmware versions and has been a problem since I first started using the device. When I try access the controller from my browser I get a "Connection timed out" error, however I can still access the controller from the mobile app with no issues. The controller IP responds to pings from the computer I am trying to access it from. Connecting to http://{OC200 IP} rather than https://{OC200 IP} gives me an old style TP link login prompt, like the router. Sometimes after a while it starts working, other times it takes a very very long time to load the page, and usually it works fine. However, at the moment I have no access to the full controller software from the browser, and it does not resolve with rebooting the controller.

Could someone please advise, as this has been rather annoying and my only real gripe with the Omada system.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OC200 Connection timed out-Solution
2023-02-21 01:25:11 - last edited 2023-02-21 01:26:10

Alright just going to post an update in case anyone stumbles upon this thread from google even though its kind of embarrassing. Turns out I had an old TP link smart switch from an older network setup with a static IP configured the same as my cloud controller. Rookie mistake. Don't forget to check for DHCP conflicts I guess...

Cloud controller now works flawlessly and is a lot faster.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:OC200 Connection timed out
2023-01-08 20:02:00

@jonod 

Cant say I have ever come accross this issue, but it does sound like your browser or network stack, and not the OC200 if honest.    Are you going via a router or are the devices connected via a switch?

I have seen home routers do strange things like this, ultimately they are routers and not switches so LAN traffic is not their best hand and packets do get lost.    What browser are you using?   Firefox is good, find it works best personally for the controller.

Options
2023-01-09 06:03:52

@jonod 

Try disable some advanced settings like auto backup, reboot schedule etc. When the controller is operating something, it may not have enough RAM to provide the web interface

Options
2023-01-09 06:32:37

@jonod A couple of tips, that I've seen another user found.  Try doing a hard refresh of the webpage (often Ctrl + F5, depending on browser).  And clear the cookies and site data for the controller from your browser, you should be able to find it for the IP address in the list of site data.

Also if you are signed into Omada Cloud on the controller, try using the TPLink Cloud site to get to the controller, and see if it is slow there too.  omada.tplinkcloud.com  The Cloud site is free, and can be used for a controller on your local net.

Options
2023-01-10 10:20:26 - last edited 2023-01-10 10:20:56

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, much apprecaited!

Philbert wrote

@jonod 

Cant say I have ever come accross this issue, but it does sound like your browser or network stack, and not the OC200 if honest.    Are you going via a router or are the devices connected via a switch?

I have seen home routers do strange things like this, ultimately they are routers and not switches so LAN traffic is not their best hand and packets do get lost.    What browser are you using?   Firefox is good, find it works best personally for the controller.

My current router is an ER605. Both the computer and the controller are connected to a SG2008P switch. If it was an issue with the network stack I would have thought I wouldn't be able to ping the controller successfully or view the http://{controller IP} page? And yes, using Firefox, but the issue persists with Edge (chromium) as well.

Somnus wrote

@jonod 

Try disable some advanced settings like auto backup, reboot schedule etc. When the controller is operating something, it may not have enough RAM to provide the web interface

Whilst I do have those settings enabled, they are all set to run in the middle of the night whilst nothing is in use. Regardless, if this is the cause that's very disappointing, TP link shouldn't be selling a controller not capable of running its own software fully.

JoeSea wrote

@jonod A couple of tips, that I've seen another user found.  Try doing a hard refresh of the webpage (often Ctrl + F5, depending on browser).  And clear the cookies and site data for the controller from your browser, you should be able to find it for the IP address in the list of site data.

Also if you are signed into Omada Cloud on the controller, try using the TPLink Cloud site to get to the controller, and see if it is slow there too.  omada.tplinkcloud.com  The Cloud site is free, and can be used for a controller on your local net.

I just had it fail to load the controller before posting this message, and would you believe the control F5 worked and the page loaded! Ill try clearing data next time if it persists and the F5 doesn't work, but it will be interesting to see if this is the fix! I'm not signed in to Omada cloud because I'm a firm believer in keeping everything local that I can (and I can just VPN in to the network regardless if requried), but given that the mobile app works fine maybe the cloud would work ok too regardless?

Options
Re:OC200 Connection timed out-Solution
2023-02-21 01:25:11 - last edited 2023-02-21 01:26:10

Alright just going to post an update in case anyone stumbles upon this thread from google even though its kind of embarrassing. Turns out I had an old TP link smart switch from an older network setup with a static IP configured the same as my cloud controller. Rookie mistake. Don't forget to check for DHCP conflicts I guess...

Cloud controller now works flawlessly and is a lot faster.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 664

Replies: 5

Related Articles