Wifi to outbuilding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Wifi to outbuilding

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Wifi to outbuilding
Wifi to outbuilding
2023-01-08 13:45:31 - last edited 2023-01-09 06:31:04

I have a to link outdoor wifi access point mounted to my ceiling which provides great coverage to my back garden.

I have now installed two further access points within my home and am about to connect all of them together with the Omada platform to create one seamless network.

the whole thing is running off a BT FTTP connection with 150mb d/l contract

However i have an outbuilding around 40 metres from the access point which is a converted stone barn with very thick walls. The signal won't penetrate inside.

I would like to get wifi signal inside. 

I have tried using a power line pass through system but the outbuilding is in a different ring so doesn't work.

in theory I could run a network cable but it'd involve digging up paving stones so I want to avoid if I can.

Another last resort option would be to buy a 4g broadband contract but I'd rather avoid the extra expense.

line of sight between the outbuilding and outdoor access point is perfect and unobstructed. Is there some device i could attach to the outside of my outbuilding to receive the wifi signal and then run a cable inside and connect to another access point inside to repeat the signal?

in a perfect world is control this via the same Omada network but if it had to be a separate SSID I wouldn't care.

As you can tell I'm not a networking expert. I have a logical enough mind to put working solutions together but with a load of potential ways of making this work I can't work out the cheapest/less disruptive/most elegant.

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wifi to outbuilding -Solution
2023-01-08 20:46:26 - last edited 2023-01-09 06:31:04

@PeteCo 

If you have Omada hardware, which i think you said you do.. Then Mesh is likely the answer for you

Check out this link

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2949/

Assuming you have an Omada EAP Outdoor already, then buying a second one (EAP225 Outdoor for example) and mounting it on the outside of the barn should allow it to talk to the one at your home via MESH

As the new AP is at the barn already, signal should be strong enough to penetrate the wall and work inside for you.   It should also be able to MESH over the 40m gap, problem solved!

You will need at least the following to get this working

Omada Controller (OC200 would be my recommendation)

2x Outdoor EAPs (EAP225 Outdoor or newer 6xx outdoors)

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Wifi to outbuilding -Solution
2023-01-08 20:46:26 - last edited 2023-01-09 06:31:04

@PeteCo 

If you have Omada hardware, which i think you said you do.. Then Mesh is likely the answer for you

Check out this link

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2949/

Assuming you have an Omada EAP Outdoor already, then buying a second one (EAP225 Outdoor for example) and mounting it on the outside of the barn should allow it to talk to the one at your home via MESH

As the new AP is at the barn already, signal should be strong enough to penetrate the wall and work inside for you.   It should also be able to MESH over the 40m gap, problem solved!

You will need at least the following to get this working

Omada Controller (OC200 would be my recommendation)

2x Outdoor EAPs (EAP225 Outdoor or newer 6xx outdoors)

Hope that helps!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wifi to outbuilding
2023-01-08 20:57:10 - last edited 2023-01-09 01:03:41

@Philbert 

thank you so much for this. I'm about to order an Omada controller so that should help.

One additional question if I may? 

This setup would then mean I would have 2 internal APs wired to a switch controlled by the Omada controller,

the EAP 225 on my house that I already have would be wired to the same switch as those internal APs

I could then have another EAP 225 on the side of the barn mesh connected to the wired EAP225 that would essentially repeat the signal into the barn?

Thank you.

Options
Re:Wifi to outbuilding
2023-01-08 21:05:34 - last edited 2023-01-09 01:03:41

@PeteCo 

Hey

Questions are always welcome, no need to ask! :)

Yes you can indeed, as the New EAP225 Outdoor will be MESH connected use its LAN port to connect to a switch in the Barn, hang whatever you wish off that switch including another EAP 225 indoors if you need

Quick guide to setting this up

Reset your current APs, best doing this with no config on them

Power up the OC200 and run through setup, enable Cloud Access at this stage if you want it, can sometimes fail if done later.    Make sure controller is updated..

Adopt the 2 Internal APs and existing EAP225 Outdoor.. configure WiFi and Security.. update them if prompted etc etc.. 

SETUP > SITE > ADVANCED FEATURES enable MESH

Power on the new EAP225 Outdoors, give it 5 mins to appear on controller as MESH and adopt her

Connect the new Internal 225 and adopt

enjoy!

Also you may find it useful to visit the Business Community rather than this Home Community.  Omada is a business product and 100x more info in there for you.   Also dont be afraid to message / reply me

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 304

Replies: 3

Related Articles