Mix and match Deco (2 x M9 Plus and 1 x M5)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-01-21 14:12:04 - last edited 2023-01-21 14:13:14
Model: Deco M9 Plus   Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

I originally had a 2 pack Deco M9 that was working great in the previous house. We since moved into a 2 story house and wanted to add a mesh units cover the extra level. My first intent was try to find an M9 plus to add but that didn't work out so I opted for an M5 instead. 

My setup is the main deco (M9 #1) is on the top floor, not ideal but no better option with the layout of the house and coax locations. M9 #2 is on the main floor and I have the M5 in the basement. 

my problem is the M5 in the basement is connecting to the main deco on the top floor and I want it to connect to the main floor one, just 1 story above which would make more sense in my mind, closer range, better speed.

I've searched and found that you can indeed select the source deco for a device or another deco.  Looks like the option is not avail when mixing matching decos, either that or I just can't find the right spot in the app to do so. 

I tried deleting the network and adding devices according to the priorities, main M9 top floor first, then the  second M9 on the main floor and lastly the basement M5, and the m5 just hooked to the main one on the top floor again....

I'M trying to basically make so each Deco sources on the one next floor up...

Am I just SOL?????

cheers!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Mix and match Deco (2 x M9 Plus and 1 x M5)
2023-01-21 14:43:07

@Huge101 

This feature is called "preferred signal source selection." It is documented here: How to select a preferred signal source on the Deco App

My Deco mesh is two M9 Plus and two M5. I tested that feature with my M5s, it works in mixed M9/M5 Deco mesh. 

For that to work, your Deco M5 must be on firmware 1.6.* Open Deco app, and in Update Deco check version of M5 firmware. Example:

In this example Deco M5 is on 1.5.3 firmware and it won't have that feature.

Only after updating M5 to firmware 1.6.* you will be able to use "preferred signal source selection" on Satellite Deco M5. This is what I currently have, with feature available on M5:

Options
2023-01-21 14:52:55

@Alexandre. Thanks for the reply's, my M5 is running 1.6.1, assuming it's the latest.

I previously followed the link you provided, but there are no such options... when I tap on my network map, this was I get, I have to option to do anything. When tapping the deco I want the source changed, I don't any options either...

File:
1A9A419C-0037-4DD9-897E-20A5D0C65DA3.pngDownload
Options
2023-01-21 15:15:54

@Huge101 

I double checked again, I have that option in my Deco M5. Just made screenshot and will put it at the bottom of my reply.

I can only think of the following differences between your and my Deco mesh, which might make your M5 not offer that feature:

1. Your Deco M9 Plus are on very old firmware. Check in Update Deco what firmware M9 Plus are on. Compare with mine from screenshot I provided earlier.

2. Your M5 is too far from Main Deco. From your screenshot, it can only connect to Main Deco by 2.4GHz. Check mine: 2.4GHz/5GHz. Bring that Satellite to the same room as Main Deco and see if feature appeared.

3. I have devices connected to M5, you have none. Shouldn't be the cause, but just in case, when you have M5 near M9 Plus and still feature is not there: connect something to that M5 either wirelessly or by Ethernet cable.

Options
2023-01-21 15:26:55

@Alexandre. I got fooled with firmware of my M9s...according to the app I have the latest firmware, 1.2.11, you have a later version... have to investigate that.

Options
2023-01-21 15:30:13 - last edited 2023-01-21 15:30:23

@Huge101 

That must be it. Firmware that old can't be updated through Deco app. Follow different, manual process: How to Update the Firmware of Deco

Options
2023-01-21 15:36:29

@Huge101 

One more thing. Before you try upgrading M9 Plus firmware manually, power off Deco M5. So that your Deco mesh has only M9 Plus units online. Just in case.

Options
2023-01-21 15:52:53

@Alexandre. The firmware update did the trick, I have options now in the app that I did not have before, one of them was the option to choose the source....

thanks a bunch, appreciate the help big time!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 710

Replies: 7

Related Articles