IPCCTV to access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

IPCCTV to access point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
IPCCTV to access point
IPCCTV to access point
2023-01-23 10:28:40 - last edited 2023-01-23 17:57:46

Hi,

I have an access point (TP-Link TL-WA1201 Access Point Dual Band AC1200) connected via cat 5 LAN cable to a virgin router in my house to give me a Wi-Fi signal in my garage which is away from the house.

I have had a IP CCTV camera fitted that will not reach the house so I want to connect it to my access point in the garage but it only has one Ethernet port. Can I buy another access point that will allow me to plug in the LAN cable from the IP CCTV camera rather than using a separate hub?

If so please could you let me know some products? Would like one that gives me a strong signal.

Thanks, John.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:IPCCTV to access point-Solution
2023-01-23 17:52:40 - last edited 2023-01-23 18:03:26

@jmronair 

Yes, it's good enough to cover your needs for wireless coverage along with the option to connect up to four wired clients like your IP camera.

If you feel you need the newer wireless standard Wi-Fi 6 and you have such client devices you can opt for Archer AX53.

Remember that whichever device you choose you have to configure it in AP mode like I posted earlier.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:IPCCTV to access point
2023-01-23 14:24:03 - last edited 2023-01-23 18:02:42

@jmronair 

Usually dedicated APs like TL-WA1201 have only one uplink ethernet port.

So in your case a dedicated switch will allow you to connect your IP Camera.

However there's another solution in your case - replacing TL-WA1201 with a wireless router like Archer C64 by using it in AP mode (Case1) will solve the issue as well.

Thus you'll have three more spare ethernet ports for wired devices in your garage.

You can use TL-WA1201 on another location to expand your wireless coverage.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2023-01-23 17:45:03

@terziyski ok great thanks, my current access point is new so i can return it and swap for your suggested Archer c64. Is this a good one? Don't mind paying a bit more for one that may give me better speeds.

Not sure what a dedicated switch is, but using the Archer c64 will give me WiFi and my ip camera to work at the same time?

Thanks. John.

Options
Re:IPCCTV to access point-Solution
2023-01-23 17:52:40 - last edited 2023-01-23 18:03:26

@jmronair 

Yes, it's good enough to cover your needs for wireless coverage along with the option to connect up to four wired clients like your IP camera.

If you feel you need the newer wireless standard Wi-Fi 6 and you have such client devices you can opt for Archer AX53.

Remember that whichever device you choose you have to configure it in AP mode like I posted earlier.

Recommended Solution
Options
2023-01-23 17:58:08
Ok thanks for you help!
Options
2023-01-25 20:39:30

@jmronair Hello again, i bought the Archer C64 and i am getting good wifi speed approx 90mb which is great, however when i plug my ethernet cable from the ipcctv the speed drops drastically to about only 5mb, i had same problem using my old access point and a hub.

Now j know its plugging in the camera that causes the issuw, any ideas? Does the router need to be set at a certain frequency?

Many thanks. John.

Options
2023-01-25 22:22:02

@jmronair 

There's no special wireless settings for C64 in AP mode:

Here's the connection between your main router and the Archer C64 (in AP mode):

Maybe your IP camera is causing some network issue when plugged in your network - what's the make and model of the IP camera ?

Options
2023-01-27 16:39:36

@terziyski Hi,

not sure of the make i will find out, thanks for those settings i will try those.

am i correct in thinking that i should be in AP mode fot the wifi signal and the ip camera t owork at the same time?

Also the hub i previously used gave PoE so i didnt need to add power supply to the ip camera, assume the Archer will not give me that?

Cheers John.

Options
2023-01-29 22:37:39 - last edited 2023-01-30 15:28:38

@jmronair 

You have to power the IP camera with a power adapter or PoE injector (it depends on your camera model), because Archer C64 doesn't offer a PoE feature.

Using C64 in AP mode will give you easier access to the IP camera when trying to connect from an external network, without introducing second NAT in your network.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 465

Replies: 8