Mesh without same SSID?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Mesh without same SSID?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Mesh without same SSID?
Mesh without same SSID?
2023-01-23 14:46:42 - last edited 2023-01-23 15:18:56
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.7.7

So after several months of messing with a OC200 controller, TL-SG2210MP Switch, root EAP610 Outdoor and 4 EAP225 Outdoor in Mesh, I have come to the conclusion that TPlinks method of distributing clients sucks. The system never seems to put clients on APs they should obviously be connecting to. I have watched carefully and clients that are next to a remote AP with a signal of -65 or less, will get connected to the root or another remote AP at -72 when I have a threshold of -70 set across the board.  We have full time guests so these devices are stationary and as consistent as can be expected.  For about 2 weeks we had 100% clients with better than -72 signal. The system did its monthly reboot and now 25% are worse than -72 and even being connected to distance APs at -80. 

When we built this network based on TPlink hardware, it was done so because it is not feasible to distribute wired APs throughout the park. For that reason I have to keep the MESH setup. My question is can I give each AP its own unique SSID for each band? This will allow clients to connect to an AP based on signal strength since TPlink cant seem to do it reliably. 

Options
8 Reply
Re:Mesh without same SSID?
2023-01-23 16:48:26

@RickJamesBish 

I think you might be fighting a feature here, as in the controller might be 'optimising' your client performance by connecting them to the lowest latency AP.  You might want to disable that kind of functionality in the OC200 and see if it starts behaving simply.

You can absolutely change the SSIDs on meshed APs...I do exactly that.  In fact, you can build a custom SSID profile for each AP, with one SSID unique to the location and another that is common across all for devices that prefer to be mobile.  If you do this, you'd probably want to leave the 'fast roaming' stuff enabled (don't disable as above) to ensure seamless handoffs when smartphones are moving about, but fixed devices like streaming boxes, cameras, thermostats can join their unique SSIDs.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-01-23 17:13:53 - last edited 2023-01-23 17:23:37

@d0ugmac1 little to no need for roaming in this environment. For the most part people come home and stay there.

When you say "disable that kind of functionality in the OC200", are you referring to the roaming and if not, what setting exactly?

What is puzzling me is how over the past 2 weeks or so, it went from all clients connecting and being distributed with a better signal then -72 to total junk. The only thing that happened was a hardware reboot. Why did the distribution change so drastically?

Options
2023-01-23 17:51:20 - last edited 2023-01-23 17:57:18

Another thing that makes me regret going TPlink is doing practically nothing and the system going berserk. All I did was go in and create a new 2.4ghz network with a name completely unrelated to the existing and all of the APs went into isolation.  I am still currently trying to get them back online. This has happened before and usually requires a hard reset of each one. I am steadily becoming anti TPlink.

Options
2023-01-24 01:50:52
Create, or create and apply?
Options
2023-01-24 12:52:58

@d0ugmac1  I created and applied a new 2.4ghz network.

Options
2023-01-24 15:53:45
So you created a new WLAN profile and applied it to one or more APs? In theory your meshed APs should only 'isolate' when there's been a change in the 5Ghz band, and only when channels change. My recommendation is to fix the 5Ghz channel used by your root mesh APs (the wired ones) because if those change, say because you cause the radios to reload a new profile which kicked off the 'Auto' channel feature again, you WILL isolate APs downstream. It will take some time for them to give up, reset, scan channels, find their new master again....etc etc. If you only have 1 wired root AP in your mesh and you live in NA, try fixing it at ch149.
Options
2023-01-25 02:52:49

@d0ugmac1 Yes it was just the 2.4ghz and I already had, and still have, the only Root AP set manually to 161. The remote APs automatically use the set channel from what I can tell so nothing I can do on that end.

So it make no sense that the remote APs went into to isolation. I was incorrect on one detail, it was all of the remote APs except for one. That one is set up identical to the others so another unexplained anomaly.

Since we have already invested in this we will just tough it out and replace it with something more reliable. The Ubiquiti hardware I recently installed has been rock solid. Cost more but I feel like Im getting what I paid for.

Options
2023-01-25 14:27:47

@RickJamesBish 

Agreed that is super-odd, I have had almost exactly the same setup for the last 2 years and the only time I ever had to climb a pole to reset an AP was when I had to reinstall my software controller without defaulting everything first...you do that exactly once and then never forget!  I've suffered the occasional 'isolation' alert, but that was during horrible weather at the farthest AP and the signal was absolutely dropping out and yet it always auto-recovered once things dried up a bit (I changed the topology last summer to resolve this)

In the meantime, unless there's a reason for it, I would suggest swapping the 610 and one 225 and making the latter your wired AP (or just outright replacing it with a 225), it is possible that there's some firmware interaction going on between the newer firmware in the 610 and the much older firmware in our 225's.  If you need the Wifi6 or other feature of the 610 it can share the mount location (you could inject power locally and feed it from the LAN port of the new 225).  It's a $100 g4mble that might just stabilize things, if not PM me...I'd make an offer :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 385

Replies: 8

Related Articles