Deco with Archer VR2800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco with Archer VR2800

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco with Archer VR2800
Deco with Archer VR2800
2023-02-09 10:39:55
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Quick question - I've got a new Archer VR2800 which isn't reaching a couple of dead spots. Have also got a few Deco M5s from a previous install.

The dead spots both have an accessible RJ45 outlet, connected to the same network as the VR2800

So my plan is to connect both Deco's to these in AP mode.

Can I set up the same SSID on these that the VR2800 is broadcasting ?

If so what happens if there is an "overlap" in an area where both Deco and VR2800 wifi are visible ? (if that makes sense!)

TIA!

Options
2 Reply
Re:Deco with Archer VR2800
2023-02-09 12:59:01

@mlj 

>Can I set up the same SSID on these that the VR2800 is broadcasting?

Yes, you can. It is like taking two different standalone routers and configuring them with the same SSID - nothing stops you from doing that.

> If so what happens if there is an "overlap" in an area where both Deco and VR2800 wifi are visible ? 

Mobile device will treat Deco mesh and VR2800 as two different routers, both broadcasting same SSID. Device may roam from one router to another, but during that it'll briefly lose WiFi and Internet connectivity. If this is OK with you, that's the only issue mobile devices should experience in this configuration.

For seamless roaming inside WiFi mesh, you will need to disable WiFi on VR2800 and attach M5 to it with short cable, to provide WiFi coverage in that area.

Options
Re:Deco with Archer VR2800
2023-02-10 11:26:15

@mlj Many thanks !!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 371

Replies: 2

Related Articles