Omada with non TP-link devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-20 06:54:19 - last edited 2023-02-22 07:07:04

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to improve the network connectivity of a small NGO office in a very remote location. As such, my budget is limited and it takes months for me to get any parts shipped out, so I need to get it right the first time.

I'm planning to buy the following:

- 1 x Omada Gigabit VPN router (ER 605 V2)

- 1 x 10-port jetstream switch TL-SG2210MP

- Maybe 1 x OC200 hardware controller

These would form the core of the redesigned network, then wi-fi will be provided by our existing APs - 2 x netgear nighthawk r7000 (configured as AP-only).

As I understand it, these will all play nicely together, but if I were to use the Omada SDN functionality it will be limited. The functionality provided by Omada looks like it would make monitoring and managing the network a lot easier, so I would buy a hardware controller like the OC200, but if it isn't compatible with my existing APs it probably isn't worth it.

So my questions are:

1. Will I be able to see devices (e.g. laptops, phones) in Omada that are connected via the Netgear AP?

2. If yes, will I be able to see bandwidth consumed/activity of those devices?

3. Is the ACL and static IP/MAC functionality still possible?

4. I am assuming that if I configure a small URL blacklist on the router, this applies to all clients regardless of how they are connected? (assuming no VPN)

Due to our slow internet connections and limited bandwidth, I don't think we'd ever use any of the cloud functionality, but the security features would be a big peace of mind, and having some insight into where all the bandwidth is being used would save me a lot of time.

Sorry if this is all a bit basic or explained elsewhere in the forums, I have looked around a lot but network engineering is a bit outside my wheelhouse!

Thanks for any help.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Omada with non TP-link devices-Solution
2023-02-20 15:31:33 - last edited 2023-02-22 07:07:04

@danielgwood 

Ok, the ER605+2210MP is a pretty capable functional block.  If you have access to computer with a static public IP I think you'd get more bang for your buck installing the Software controller on that and having the remote site report in over the internet for management/stats (it would also support other sites in the future).  IMHO the only reason to have a local controller is if you are using TPlink APs and require that the Mesh and/or FastRoaming features function correctly (and continue to function even if the internet is down in any way).  You will need to preconfigure both devices before shipping to report in to your own Controller instance.  But you will be able to implement switch-based ACLs and you'll get all the reporting goodness from the Controller.  

Now you CAN use the Netgear APs for WiFi access, but both the AP and any wireless clients will all appear as wired clients on the same port on the 2210MP (it will appear as though they are all connected to an unmanaged switch).  You'll have NO control over the APs, like SSID names and/or VLANs, subnet isolation etc etc. but Netgear I believe makes an App for that.

I have an unmanaged Netgear switch downstream from my own 2210P, and the devices attached to it are tracked as individual clients (they just all show as being attached to 2210P_port6).  So I'm quite confident you'll see individual stats from your wirelessly connected clients.

You can decide later if you want a 100% Omada solution and then replace the Nighthawks with some cheap EAP235s or EAP615's (I quite like the wall units as I use the integrated ethernet ports : )  )

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada with non TP-link devices-Solution
2023-02-20 15:31:33 - last edited 2023-02-22 07:07:04

@danielgwood 

Ok, the ER605+2210MP is a pretty capable functional block.  If you have access to computer with a static public IP I think you'd get more bang for your buck installing the Software controller on that and having the remote site report in over the internet for management/stats (it would also support other sites in the future).  IMHO the only reason to have a local controller is if you are using TPlink APs and require that the Mesh and/or FastRoaming features function correctly (and continue to function even if the internet is down in any way).  You will need to preconfigure both devices before shipping to report in to your own Controller instance.  But you will be able to implement switch-based ACLs and you'll get all the reporting goodness from the Controller.  

Now you CAN use the Netgear APs for WiFi access, but both the AP and any wireless clients will all appear as wired clients on the same port on the 2210MP (it will appear as though they are all connected to an unmanaged switch).  You'll have NO control over the APs, like SSID names and/or VLANs, subnet isolation etc etc. but Netgear I believe makes an App for that.

I have an unmanaged Netgear switch downstream from my own 2210P, and the devices attached to it are tracked as individual clients (they just all show as being attached to 2210P_port6).  So I'm quite confident you'll see individual stats from your wirelessly connected clients.

You can decide later if you want a 100% Omada solution and then replace the Nighthawks with some cheap EAP235s or EAP615's (I quite like the wall units as I use the integrated ethernet ports : )  )

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Omada with non TP-link devices
2023-02-20 15:35:50

@danielgwood 

Just noticed that last bit of your post....if you do have a BW cap (ie you pay usage on a metered connection), then having a local controller (ie OC200) would prevent a fair bit of internet usage over time....might be cheaper is what I'm saying.  You can still cloud connect the OC200 via TPlink's website so you can remote in whenever you need to pull stats or tweak the network, and this works even if the ER605 is assigned a dynamic IP.

Options
2023-02-21 05:33:56

@d0ugmac1 thank you so much for that, very informative. It sounds like it will work more or less as I expected. I probably will invest in the OC200 because our bandwidth/traffic usage is already maxed out, so the less the better.

If I can squeeze it into the budget I will probably pick up one of the cheaper Omada APs too - there is one patchy bit of coverage i could improve, and it would allow testing to see if going all-Omada is worth it.

Thanks again!

Options
2023-02-21 16:53:50 - last edited 2023-02-21 18:21:26

@danielgwood 

Last thought...if you're going with Router+POESwitch+OC200 (US$60+$90+$100=$250)...you might consider the 8411 (US$350) or the 7212PC (US$2XX?).  It might be a bit more but they are both an all-in-one box, one box, one PSU and performs all 3 functions (well more, it has 10G ports, but you aren't leveraging those :) ...should reduce shipping, and possibly confusion on the far end for setup etc.

Options
2023-02-22 07:06:17

@d0ugmac1 thanks! I think I had earlier ruled out the 7212PC because it didn't have the USB for 3G/LTE etc, which is Plan C in the event of both of our pseudo-fibre connections failing. Of course that isn't a problem on the ER8411! I'll give it some thought for sure.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1502

Replies: 5

Related Articles