Deco X60 poor performance and dropping packets

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-20 19:30:17
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

Hi,

I've been troubleshooting a network issue in my home.

The service provider has confirmed their router is fine and when connected (RJ45) I get a good response.

Wifi on the deco (mutliple devices) drops about 1 in 10 packets when pinging it directly.

I'm running the latest firmware.

In log i'm getting some errors:

Mon Feb 20 19:17:20 2023 daemon.err nrd[8071]: qca_send_rrm_beacon_req : fail to append channel report.

Mon Feb 20 19:17:20 2023 daemon.err nrd[8071]: estimatorPerformMeasurement: Failed to initiate 11k measuremrent for CC:D9:AC:38:BD:DC on channel 3 from serving BSS APId 255 ChanId 12 ESSId 0

Mon Feb 20 19:17:20 2023 daemon.err nrd[8071]: bcnrpt_append_chan_report: don't find regclassnum

Mon Feb 20 19:17:20 2023 daemon.err nrd[8071]: qca_send_rrm_beacon_req : fail to append channel report.

Mon Feb 20 19:17:20 2023 daemon.err nrd[8071]: estimatorPerformMeasurement: Failed to initiate 11k measuremrent for 2C:3B:70:38:09:71 on channel 3 from serving BSS APId 255 ChanId 12 ESSId 0

I also see mdeium/high interference but the device does not seem to be able to move from its channel.

I'd wleocme any guideance.

Many thanks,

G

Options
5 Reply
Re:Deco X60 poor performance and dropping packets
2023-02-20 21:20:06

@Limfox 

These are common log lines I also see in my correctly working Deco mesh. You can ignore them.

Packet loss is unusual. I would suggest to check CPU and memory utilization on Main Deco. You can find that at the bottom of the Web page for Main Deco.

Example:

If CPU load is staying at close to 90%-100%, that would explain it.

Also, if you can share List view and Map view screenshots from your Deco app, that will help to establish if Deco nodes are placed correctly and have good link to the rest of Deco mesh. Screenshot examples:

Do you run your Deco mesh in its default Router mode or in Access Point mode?

Options
2023-02-21 09:52:38

@Alexandre. 

Many thanks for the reply and guidance, its very much appreaciated.

CPU looks file, memory a bit high.

I only have one unit (multiple devices connect, currently 7 but sometimes up to 12)

I have a 200mb virginmedia circuit (below speed should be a lot higher), The virgin hub3 is in modem only mode and all devices connect to the single Deco x60 device which is connect by ethernet to the virgin hub.

wifi assist brought this response:

Wifi interference is high, but I don't think I can force a channel change.

Currently I'm sitting in the room next door to the Deco with a clear line of sight (around 8 meters), the only obstacle is a glass door, which i can open but doesn't appear to impact the signal. pinging is dropping 1 in 15 to 20.

Thank you,

G

Options
2023-02-21 14:35:13

@Limfox 

As you only have one Deco X60, the issue you see is not related to Deco mesh. It is the issue with the standalone router, which is Deco.

The troubleshooting steps I am going to suggest are just for that.

1. Ping IP address of Deco X60, which with default configuration is 192.168.68.1, I believe. If this is not the right IP address, find what is.

If you see occasional packet loss pinging X60 from device at very close range to Deco unit, the problem is with X60. Probably defective unit, send it back.

2. If you can ping Deco x60 with no packet loss, but Internet - still with packet loss, the problem is either Ethernet port of Deco or something between Deco and Internet, such as Ethernet cables.

3. Connect Ethernet cable from hub 3 to the different Deco X60 port, if still packet loss - it is still possible, even if unlikely, that both Ethernet ports are bad, but most likely it is not Deco.

4. If you want to continue troubleshooting, bring back hub 3 to its default router mode but do not turn its WiFi on. Have device still wirelessly connected to X60. With Deco X60 connected to hub 3 running in router mode, is there still packet loss?

If not, the issue were with hub 3 running in modem mode and that is for your ISP to sort out.

5. If there is still packet loss, power off Deco X60, turn on WiFi on hub 3 and ping Internet host from device wirelessly connected to hub 3 WiFi. No packet loss: defective Deco X60; Packet loss: have conversation with your ISP Tech Support, you don't have anything else but their hardware in current setup.

Options
2023-02-22 12:15:48 - last edited 2023-02-22 12:16:35

@Limfox the first thing to check on mobile is the link speed u find when click on the i icon in your wifi name under settings

If your mobile shows a high number and not bouncing around around then prob is not with router

if it bounces a lot then there are problems

I used to have this problem with deco m5

ended up finding that the packet loss was due to the wrong wiring of the cat6 cable

Later gave the cable provided by tp link so that he can create the same layout and then my loss went out

For the interference, I think your mobile company is Xiaomi right? If yes, try setting it in 2.4ghz since xiaomi phones are finicky about 5ghz (they will keep on trying and will stay connected but no internet or bouncing between 2.4 and 5. I had to switch my mom phone to 2.4ghz via the mobile app to fix this irrating issue even though whole house is covered by 5ghz)

Hoping my experience will help you.

Options
2023-02-28 18:19:03

Thank you for all the assistance.

TP-Link have provided me a beta firmware which i've applied and has made some improvements to performance.  I'm seeing how it performs over the week, but its looking encouraging.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1155

Replies: 5

Related Articles