Replace all my Deco M5 with X55 - easy?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-21 12:58:13 - last edited 2023-02-24 12:41:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

I currently have 3 x Deco M5 - all three connected to Ethernet.

I want to replace them all with X55 - for improved speeds, etc

Will the swap be straightforward and easy - e.g. just add each X55 to the network and disconnect the M5 from the same location?

Do I have to worry about a 'master' M5 and switching that to a master X55?

They are working in Access Point mode - with the routing + things like  Fixed IP, Mac address, IP filtering, etc still being done by my Fibre modem router (which has WiFi switched off).

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Replace all my Deco M5 with X55 - easy?-Solution
2023-02-21 14:44:09 - last edited 2023-02-24 12:41:24

@harry66 

It can be done easy if you follow these steps:

1. Add X55s as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

2. Promote one of these Satellite X55 to be Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

2. All your M5s are now Satellite units. Delete them from Deco app, which will also factory reset them. Follow section "Reset a Deco unit" from this document: How Do I Reboot or Reset My System?

M5s must be powered on and shown in Deco app as ONLINE when you remove them in Deco app.

Done.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Replace all my Deco M5 with X55 - easy?-Solution
2023-02-21 14:44:09 - last edited 2023-02-24 12:41:24

@harry66 

It can be done easy if you follow these steps:

1. Add X55s as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

2. Promote one of these Satellite X55 to be Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

2. All your M5s are now Satellite units. Delete them from Deco app, which will also factory reset them. Follow section "Reset a Deco unit" from this document: How Do I Reboot or Reset My System?

M5s must be powered on and shown in Deco app as ONLINE when you remove them in Deco app.

Done.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Replace all my Deco M5 with X55 - easy?
2023-02-24 12:41:16

@harry66 

Thanks.

I also noticed the PX50 - which is even more interesting to me.

I currently have all three M5 connected to ethernet backhaul - as I already have much ethernet wiring in place around the house.

We plan to move in the next 12 months and since the new place is unlikely to have similar ethernet - the PX50 powerline functionality is far more appealing - so will probably wait till we move and then upgrade.

Options
Re:Replace all my Deco M5 with X55 - easy?
2023-03-02 14:01:24

The PX50 was on offer on Amazon - so just decided to upgrade now - rather than wait..

The migration from M5 to PX50 was quite messy. I suspect this was because the M5 and PX50 were interfering with each other.

Adding the 1st PX50 took quite some time to achieve - the app could not find the PX50 and then even when it did, I took several attempts to make the 1st PX50 as the main deco. Adding the second PX50 took even longer.

They kept showing the red light and the WiFi network would disappear - and it was interfering with my wired PCs as well - several reboots of the Decos eventually got a stable setup.

The 3rd PX50 was added smoothly and once I removed all three M5 from the network - things have been stable now for 20hrs or so...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 629

Replies: 3

Related Articles