EAP225 as a transparent Client

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-24 09:26:40
Model: EAP225-Outdoor  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hello.

I want to buy an EAP225 outdoor device. I have some similar devices of other brands but don't work as I want. I want to connect this device as a client to my home network and connect a dummy switch to have some devices wired.

When I connect the other similar devices as a client to my home network, I always see connected to my network some IP (the IP of the devices of the switch) but all the IP have the same MAC (the MAC of the client device).

I am going to explain it better with an example.

CLIENT DEVICE:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.100

- MAC: AAAAAAAA

Connected to the Ethernet port of the client I have a dummy switch with some wired devices.

DEVICE_1:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.200

- MAC: BBBBBBBB

DEVICE_2:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.201

- MAC: CCCCCCCC

DEVICE_3:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.202

- MAC: DDDDDDDD

When I connect my laptop wireless to my home network and I do an IP scan, what I see is:

DEVICE_1:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.200

DEVICE_2:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.201

DEVICE_3:

- ETH IP:192.168.1.202

After this explanation what I want to know is if this device (EAP225) allows working as a totally transparent client. What I want is  to connect to my network all the wired devices behind the bridge with their own MAC.

Is it possible with this device (EAP225)?

Best regards.

Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP225 as a transparent Client
2023-02-24 16:31:10

@martinez5 

I believe the 225-outdoor will not work as you want.  The minimum config you would need to even do the remote wired bridge are a PAIR of EAP225-outdoors AND a controller of some sort (ie OC200 or install the software version locally) to establish the Mesh as these APs don't have a Client mode to my knowledge.

I don't currently have a device connected to the far-end port of any my meshed 225's.  I do know that all devices connected at the far end show up as being on the same port as the near-end wired AP of the mesh.  This would lead me to believe that the near-end AP is GARP'ing on behalf of the remotely connected clients which I think is necessary because the mesh seems to be a Layer3 solution.

What you want is a L2 bridge solution like the TPlink CPE510 maybe?

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 448

Replies: 1

Related Articles