DECO P9 Flow loss between my different DECO

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-02-25 20:43:48
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello

I will explain my installation: My orange livebox is connected by fiber, but it is outside my apartment in the corridor protected in a plastic box, I am in the apartment, and as a separation there is a big door and the wall which is a little thick. On this livebox, I have my first Deco P9 which is connected by ethernet, this first Deco P9 is inside my apartment, the ethernet cable goes under the side of the door, I checked the cable is not crushed or nothing. So normally with this configuration it should remove the obstacle of the plastic box and the door.

On this first Deco P9 I have a very good connection.

On the other hand after if I go to one of the rooms where there is another Deco P9 I really have a very big loss, and yet I have 3 bars out of 3 And the distances between the 2 deco are only a few meters and the walls are thick

What can the problem come from?

Options
15 Reply
Re:DECO P9 Flow loss between my different DECO
2023-02-26 12:52:36

@vDex 

If you can tell what speeds you are getting with device connected to Main Deco P9 and what speeds - when connected to Satellite Deco P9, that will help to figure what does "very big loss"  mean in your case.

Also, please share screenshots of your Deco mesh from the Deco app which will show link between Main Deco and Satellite Deco and how they are connected to each other. Example screenshots from my Deco app below.

"Show List" screenshot:

Satellite Deco info page screenshot:

Options
2023-02-26 20:24:51

@Alexandre. 

Main deco on the first line

I was 50 centimeters from the main deco begin the test

Satellite Deco on the second line 

I was 50 centimeters from the satellite deco begin the test

Let me know if you need something else to help me

Thanks

Options
2023-02-26 21:12:31

@vDex 

Thanks for screenshots.

From your initial post I assumed you only have two Deco: Main and one Satellite. Your screenshot shows four Deco in total. That is important information for troubleshooting.

You said you have Deco P9s. These are Deco that can use powerline to connect. Yet, not one of them is shown in Deco app as using powerline. As far as I can tell, they use WiFi only. While this is possible, it is unusual. Are you sure you have Deco P9 and not Deco M4, for example?

The fact that powerline link is not used may explain slow speed on Satellite Deco which is behind thick wall.

I will need you to clarify to which Satellite Deco your device was connected for speed tests.

Please share "Show Map" screen from Deco app so that I can see how Satellite Deco connect to each other. Example of that screen shot, from my Deco mesh:

Also, if you please do no bundle together screenshots, because they are getting squeezed in this forum post and hard to read. Please re-post "Show List" screenshot, too, just like I do it here:

Options
2023-02-26 21:24:25
Options
2023-02-26 21:24:58

@vDex 

Options
2023-02-26 21:29:27
Caption

@vDex on this one im connected on Deco Chambre who is in my bed room

Options
2023-02-26 21:33:39

@vDex on this one im near the main deco Couloir

Options
2023-02-26 21:37:53 - last edited 2023-02-26 21:39:06

@vDex 

Thanks. I have better picture now, screenshots are easy to read. I notice you have Main Deco and one of Satellite Deco with the same name "Couloir", I did not know it is possible to give two Deco units same name, but this is probably not the cause of the slow speed.

Just one more thing, would you please also share Update Deco screenshot from Deco app, here is example:

Options
2023-02-26 21:41:58

@vDex 

Options
2023-02-26 22:02:18

@vDex 

Thanks, I now have the whole picture.

You really do have Deco P9. For some reason, they can't talk to each other on powerline, it appears. They use WiFi to connect to each other. Sadly, you are not using one of the main benefits of powerline capable Deco units.

You are getting decent speed off your Main Deco. 

All your Satellite Deco are connected to Main Deco. When they use WiFi link to Main Deco, you should expect speed to be cut by at least half for device connected to Satellite Deco, and that under ideal conditions. Usually, you'll get even worse results.

This is not Deco mesh problem, this is limitation of technology. For more info, you can google "why wifi range extender cuts bandwidth by half"

Judging from signal levels reported from your Satellite Deco, I would expect for them these maximum speeds:

Couloir - 150Mbps-200Mbps

Chambre - 100Mbps - 150Mbps

Bureau - under 100Mbps

If you managed to get 70Mbps from device connected to Chambre, this is not bad. WiFi interference from neighbours and home appliances will impact maximum possible speeds.

There are two things I can suggest:

1. Move Deco Chambre and Deco Bureau closer to Main Deco, if you can. That especially concerns Deco Bureau.

2. For speed testing, turn off band 2.4GHz in Main Network, and re-run speed tests again. This is to ensure your smartphone you run speed tests on always connects to Deco mesh on faster 5GHz band.

After you've finished with speed tests, you can restore default setting. It can be found here:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1092

Replies: 15

Related Articles