Blocking Bittorrent

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Blocking Bittorrent

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Blocking Bittorrent
Blocking Bittorrent
2023-03-03 00:33:26 - last edited 2023-03-04 12:08:01
Model: SG2210MP  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.5

Received word today that someone is distributing copyright material via bittorrent on our network. I have Omada equipment from the switch out. Before the switch is a TPlink Router and a ISP Provided Modem in passthrough.

Is there any means of blocking bittorrent activity on the switch I have or is there equipment I can add that is capable of doing so?

Modem > TPLink Archer A7 Router > TL-SG2210MP Switch > EAP610OD ---- x3 EAP225OD

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Blocking Bittorrent-Solution
2023-03-03 21:56:00 - last edited 2023-03-04 12:08:01

@RickJamesBish 

It's a bit more work, but I'd graph per user traffic afterhours and see who's got a continuous 'buzz' going...  I suspect the 'Top Clients' report would be a good start too.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Blocking Bittorrent
2023-03-03 01:31:03

@RickJamesBish  yikes. Did some research while waiting to hear back from someone and it appears TP-Link is well behind the game in this regard, offering no hardware that supports Deep Packet Inspection. If I am wrong please let me know. If anyone is using hardware that supports DPI and are happy with the performance please let me know what. Going to check out Ubiquiti now.

Options
2023-03-03 03:29:08 - last edited 2023-03-03 03:30:10

@RickJamesBish 

well, googling it, it's thinking what i am thinking.

• Identify the ports used by BitTorrent: BitTorrent typically uses ports in the range of 6881 to 6999. However, BitTorrent clients are designed to use any open port, so you may need to do more research to find all the ports used by BitTorrent on your network.

• Configure port blocking: Log into your router or switch's web interface and find the option to block ports. Enter the ports used by BitTorrent and save the settings.

• Configure content filtering: Many routers and switches also support content filtering. Enable content filtering and add keywords such as "BitTorrent," "uTorrent," "peer-to-peer," or any other terms commonly used by BitTorrent clients.

acl block ports and enable URL filtering. 

URL filtering could kill some of your normal downloading. but I believe blocking port is the most effective way.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-03-03 13:17:51

@Tedd404 thanks for the reply but I have already researched that option. In the past it was a somewhat viable solution but bittorrent has progressed to the point that you would need to block all ports, which ends up effecting normal operation. From what I have read DPI is the more recent methodl but still not 100% effective. Regardless Tp-Link, despite being a "business solution" does not have any hardware that does this.

Options
Re:Blocking Bittorrent-Solution
2023-03-03 21:56:00 - last edited 2023-03-04 12:08:01

@RickJamesBish 

It's a bit more work, but I'd graph per user traffic afterhours and see who's got a continuous 'buzz' going...  I suspect the 'Top Clients' report would be a good start too.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-03-04 11:51:00 - last edited 2023-03-04 12:08:58

@d0ugmac1 I would not mind doing that at all but is there a graph per user? I thought the user history was going to help but it just shows times active from what I can tell. The client list gives a total up / down transfer but no way to view in graph form that would show when the most data was used.

EDIT.. I just found the history also shows data transferred during the times logged. This is the second time I have missed data because I did not notice the scroll bar ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish they would go ahead and throw a graph in there for users. They have other graphs that are way less useful. Going ahead and marking your comment as solution since the answer nor the technology is going to come from TP-Link.

Options
2023-03-04 12:45:05 - last edited 2023-03-04 12:45:18

I went ahead and ordered Ubiquitis DreamMachine UDM Router. It has countermeasures built in for Bittorrent. How well it works is another question but I guess I will find out. Based off my experience with their CPEs I purchased, I am expecting the router to outperform the TPlink and provide some level of protection against the occassional Bittorrent issue.

Options
2023-03-21 06:05:10

@RickJamesBish If you're looking to block bittorrent activity on your network, you can try using Omada's built-in QoS (Quality of Service) feature. This will allow you to prioritize traffic on your network and ensure that any bittorrent downloads don't take up too much bandwidth. You might also want to consider purchasing a firewall to help manage the traffic on your network.

Options
2023-03-21 11:35:44 - last edited 2023-03-21 11:36:19

@TheoDaavid 

I ended up getting the Ubiquiti Dream Machine, which after testing, at the very least disrupts bittorrent activity and also lets us know who is using it. I have learned by trial and error that TPlinks "business line" of products, falls well short of being what it claims. Ubiquiti cost more but it definitely holds up to its enterprise grade claims.  Since our entire network is comprised of Tplink Omada, and quite new, we are going to replace it all in stages with Ubiquiti.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 817

Replies: 8

Related Articles