Failover backup does not work?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-03 09:07:52
Tags: #failover
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

I have two ISPs - one connected to WAN and the other to WAN/LAN1. Today, I found that I'm offline. The controller (5.9.9) showed both WANs as online. The online detection method is set to ping. Both WANs are connected using a dynamic IP. What could be wrong? Logs say nothing about it (no warning, event, just nothing).

Options
4 Reply
Re:Failover backup does not work?
2023-03-03 11:41:27

@ZdenekM Your WAN DNS server is:

But WAN/LAN1 is:

Why???

Options
2023-03-03 12:08:16

@HelsingL Good catch, thanks. That was a mistake. However, it should not influence anything - online detection is based on pinging an IP address and there is set the (correct) DNS server in DHCP server configuration.

Options
2023-03-03 14:04:02

@ZdenekM 

How does your online detection config look like?

Asking as your printscreen shows echo server 8.8.8.8 wich is being used for latency measunring and not for online detection...

In router standalone mode it looks like this (defaults):

Options
2023-03-04 09:12:57

Hi  @ZdenekM 

Have you tried to run a continues ping test on your PC? (like ping 8.8.8.8 -t)

In normal case a double NAT could slow down the Online detection because your WAN default gateway will always reply the ping. But in normal case it won't take so long since the router can not get a reply from echo server(8.8.8.8 you set up). 

I suspect the Internet is actually still online, but there are some problem on upload/download speed that makes you feel the Intenret is "offline". 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 345

Replies: 4

Tags

failover
Related Articles