Deco M9 plus slow Wi-Fi speeds

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-22 08:44:29

Hi,

I'm on Virgin Media broadband, I've just upgraded to 500Mbps last week but my wifi speeds all over the house are terrible.

If I do a speed test through the Deco app I get 540Mbps but then I do a wifi speed test and I'm lucky to get 260Mbps, even stood right next to the router.

I've got the SH3 which is in modem mode and I've had the M9's for around 2/3 years with no issues, we got them because we are in a 3story house and the signal from the SH3 wasn't great so I added the M9's. Not really had many problems with the setup until now.

Has anybody encountered similar issues or can offer any help/advise to rectify?

Thanks in advance. 

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco M9 plus slow Wi-Fi speeds
2023-03-22 13:43:49

@Aidy2020 

I have Deco M9 Plus. It is capable of delivering peak WiFi speeds of 650Mbps and steady WiFi speeds of about 400Mbps. For 500Mbps Internet link Deco M9 Plus is the right hardware.

What you see usually comes to one (or combination) of the following things:

1. With Deco mesh running in Router mode, when you upgrade your Internet link you may need to increase QoS value. See this document: How to set up QoS on the Deco

Set QoS value to 900 for download and for upload.

2. Device you use to run speed test was connected to Deco on 2.4GHz instead of WiFi5. 

3. You have traffic priority and bandwidth throttling settings configured in Deco app for your Deco mesh.

If first step does not help, I'll give you recommendations on how to deal with 2 and 3.

Options
2023-03-22 17:39:13

Alexandre. wrote

@Aidy2020 

I have Deco M9 Plus. It is capable of delivering peak WiFi speeds of 650Mbps and steady WiFi speeds of about 400Mbps. For 500Mbps Internet link Deco M9 Plus is the right hardware.

What you see usually comes to one (or combination) of the following things:

1. With Deco mesh running in Router mode, when you upgrade your Internet link you may need to increase QoS value. See this document: How to set up QoS on the Deco

Set QoS value to 900 for download and for upload.

2. Device you use to run speed test was connected to Deco on 2.4GHz instead of WiFi5. 

3. You have traffic priority and bandwidth throttling settings configured in Deco app for your Deco mesh.

If first step does not help, I'll give you recommendations on how to deal with 2 and 3.

@Alexandre.

Thank you for your reply.

I had already increased the QoS value to 600 down and 600 up, I have changed to 900 as you suggested but it's no better than it was.

The device used to run the speedtest was indeed connected to 5GHz, even standing next to the main Deco that is hardwired to the router I'm still getting slow Wi-Fi speeds.

Thanks again. 

Options
2023-03-22 18:42:58 - last edited 2023-03-22 18:44:20

@Aidy2020 

The only other thing left I could recommend is to configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode and test speed again. How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

This is how I run my Deco mesh with M9 Plus: AP mode, 2.4GHz turned off:

I just walked to my Main Deco M9 Plus, made sure smartphone is connected to that Deco and not to Satellite, ran speed test and got 565Mbps on first try (I have gigabit Internet).

Options
2023-03-23 08:53:37

@Aidy2020 

I had speed issues with Deco M9 Plus and eventually it was resolved by disabling QOS altogether.

Options
2023-03-23 08:58:10

@Alexandre.

Thanks again, I tried this but I have quite a few products that don't work on 5GHz. Specifically Nest doorbell and smoke detectors and a few other things so that unfortunately, isn't a solution for me. 

Options
2023-03-23 08:59:06

@MikkoLon 

Thank you. Although I don't see an option in the app for disabling it all together, unless I'm missing something?

Options
2023-03-23 12:05:17 - last edited 2023-03-23 12:05:26

Aidy2020 wrote

@Alexandre.

Thanks again, I tried this but I have quite a few products that don't work on 5GHz. Specifically Nest doorbell and smoke detectors and a few other things so that unfortunately, isn't a solution for me. 

@Aidy2020 

The point of these recommendations is to help you figure where the problem is. This could be device you use for speed testing, for example, or Deco mesh configuration settings, or hardware issues. Perhaps, even too much WiFi interference at your place.

These changes, after you've made them and ran speeds tests, they can be rolled back.

You already found that link between Main Deco and Internet has not issues, by using "Test Internet Speed" in Deco app. 

Mobile device may use battery efficient 2.4GHz instead of WiFi5, on dual band. Only by explicitly disallowing this, by turning 2.4GHz off in Deco app, you can be sure you test speeds while on WiFi5.

You said you tried: did you run speed test after making that change and what was the result?

QoS and other bandwidth limiting settings will all be turned off when Deco is configured to run in Access Point mode.

Also, if you have multiple Deco units in close proximity, your mobile device might switch to Satellite Deco. To avoid that, if it is still unclear why speeds are not good, you should power off all Satellite Deco and repeat speed tests with recommendations above and just Main Deco online.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 435

Replies: 7

Related Articles