Votes

Hardware - firmware version differences within the same model line

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Votes

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-04 14:19:56

It would be great if TP-Link would provide more additional information for hardware-firmware versions and differences within the same model line. For example, EAP225 could be V1, V2, V3, V3.20, V4, V5. What are real differences in hardware between these versions? Some of them are compatible with some firmware releases of Omada, some not. Moreover, when you you order online, as a rule, nobody of the vendors shows the hardware revision of a TP-Link device. And TP-Link should make a must for any vendor to mention the hardware version of the available device in stock.

Otherwise buying a TP-Link device online turns into sort of win or loose - you have no idea which version you would get.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Hardware - firmware version differences within the same model line
2023-04-05 12:52:20

@VitaliyT 

100% agree 

there is only one thing to say about all those versions, complete chaos

Options
2023-04-06 08:17:20

Hello @VitaliyT ,

We have released an article to explain the Difference Between Device Minor Version Numbers (e.g. V1/V1.6)

And as for the main version like V1, V2, V3, generally, there are the differences in terms of chips and hardware materials.
And when you try to upgrade the firmware version, it usually has the notes to remind you which hardware version is applicable.

Options
2023-04-06 10:09:00

@VitaliyT 

I understand the minor hardware revision version differences. But I do not understand why in case of major hardware changes (number of cores of a processor, increase or decrease of the amount of memory) there is no mention of that in device specifications, so that any customer could select a device which would better suit his needs. Now you have to perform a thorough search, if anybody disassembled that very device and shared pictures or information regarding hardware. And that concerns business oriented model lines!

As for the vendors selling your equipment online they make no mention of the hardware version release of the devices they sell. Even when I called a vendor by phone, he answered that he had no idea which version he was selling! The answer was just to order it and if a device would not suit me to return it!

When I called my local office of TP-Link in the Ukraine to inquire which version (hardware revision) was being sold at that moment, I received the answer that it could be any.

Actually that was the main reason for my post.

Options
2023-04-06 10:14:35

@Hank21 

I think you misunderstood this, the problem is when we as customers order a product we never know what we will get. an example, I was going to replace two ER605v1 and ordered two new ER605v2 I wrote an email and called the supplier to make sure I got the ER605v2, anyway I got the ER605v1, I had to return 2 times before I finally got the right one.

another example, the EAP620HD. here, some versions support PPSK, others do not, there is even a difference in design and size.

for us as customers, it is almost impossible to know what we will get when we order something online, there are not only small changes, there are often large changes that have completely different functions on same model but different hardware version.

in most cases, the change of version is a completely new product that should be displayed in the online stores when we buy.

So you at TP-Link are welcome to use the same model name, but you must also add the version number to the model name so that we as customers know what we are buying, now it's a hope to get right product this time and hope what we order will work together with the rest of the solution we have. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 481

Replies: 4

Voters 1