can i connect my PC to TP Link Deco S4 to

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-09 08:27:50
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi ! I'm planning on getting a TP Link Deco S4 mesh router. Current PC/network setup is just ISP provided modem with built in router and plugged in directly to the PC. So my question is since the Deco S4 has two Ethernet ports one for the internet (input?) can i use the other/2nd Ethernet port and connect it to the PC and will it have have internet access ? or do i still need to get another router or switch? (I plan to connect other deco/nodes wireless)

ps
I'm nor really good at networking and i tried checking youtube for guides but haven't seen any video that kinda helped with my question.
and sorry for my bad English.

Options
4 Reply
Re: can i connect my PC to TP Link Deco S4 to
2023-04-09 11:49:37

@zyclonenuz 

You can use second Ethernet port of Deco S4 to connect PC to it and PC will have Internet access.

Also, depending on your ISP provided modem/router, you may be able to keep PC connected to it. To confirm if this is an option, please give me brand and model name of your modem/router and I'll check for you. If you don't know how to find that, just tell me how many Ethernet ports ISP provided modem/router has.

Options
2023-04-09 12:12:05 - last edited 2023-04-09 12:21:40

@Alexandre. 

Hi i think my isp modem/router is fiberhome AN5506-04. Isp disabled the other 3 lan ports actually. Im kinda iffy to messed with it. 😅

Another related question. Im actually planning on using the mesh on my vacation house with the setup i mentioned earlier. Can i just setup/configure the mesh here now on my house in the city and just move it to the vacation house like later when i go? Will it be plug and play or do i have to reconfigure everything again?

Options
2023-04-09 12:40:00

@zyclonenuz 

If you have just one working Ethernet port on ISP modem/router, that leaves you no choice but connect PC to second Ethernet port of Deco S4. By the way, you can also connect PC (or any other Ethernet wired device) to any of Ethernet ports of Satellite Deco units, and these devices will have Internet.

For taking Deco mesh with you to the vacation house. As long as you have similar ISP modem/router there, you won't need to reconfigure Deco.

When I say similar, I mean this: vacation house ISP modem/router has at least one Ethernet port, and when you connect PC (laptop, etc.) to that Ethernet port it has Internet. Just like at your home.

Setup will be same as at your home: connect Main Deco by Ethernet cable to the working LAN port of your ISP modem/router.

Options
2023-04-09 12:48:13

@Alexandre. 

Alexandre. wrote

@zyclonenuz 

If you have just one working Ethernet port on ISP modem/router, that leaves you no choice but connect PC to second Ethernet port of Deco S4. By the way, you can also connect PC (or any other Ethernet wired device) to any of Ethernet ports of Satellite Deco units, and these devices will have Internet.

For taking Deco mesh with you to the vacation house. As long as you have similar ISP modem/router there, you won't need to reconfigure Deco.

When I say similar, I mean this: vacation house ISP modem/router has at least one Ethernet port, and when you connect PC (laptop, etc.) to that Ethernet port it has Internet. Just like at your home.

Setup will be same as at your home: connect Main Deco by Ethernet cable to the working LAN port of your ISP modem/router.

Yeah it just have one working Ethernet port.  So i got a router and switch here on my house in the city for my other devices like cctv and etc.

Cool thanks! ☺️

Yeah vacation house has kinda "similar" setup like you mentioned. 

Thanks again! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1349

Replies: 4

Related Articles