How to use ethernet with Deco S4 system.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-10 19:29:33 - last edited 2023-04-10 21:15:40
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1.Build 20220113

Hi Folks. I had a BT white disc mesh system installed...but It gave me issues when trying to use 2.4gHz Blink cameras and smart switches etc so I jumped to a Deco S4 system.

I had CAT6 ethernet cables running to each of the four white discs from the Virgin Media Modem/Router. The connection and mesh system worked well.

So, today I set up the S4 system. I used the supplied ethernet cable to run from my Virgin Media modem router. I then set up the other two S4 units wirelessly.  I then put the S4 units where the BT discs were and plugged in the ethernet cables (all CAT 6 form the Virgin Media/Router) Everything seemed to be OK…but the wifi network I set up on the S4 system dropped. I could only get it back by disconnecting the ethernet cables. Should I be setting up in access point mode?

Do I need to use a switch from the main deco and run ethernet cable from the switch to each deco?    

I leave for Europe early in the morning for work…and would like to get this system working tonight so the black cameras are working so I can keep an eye on my elderly Father.

Any help appreciated! 

Thanks in advance

m

Options
3 Reply
Re:How to use ethernet with Deco S4 system.
2023-04-10 21:10:51 - last edited 2023-04-10 21:11:14

@vintageb3 

It is never a good idea to make home network changes just before leaving. Just saying.

You can do the following three things:

1. Review this FAQ document: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

2. Configure Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode.

3. Select "2.4 GHz Only" band in Deco Main Network settings. Your Blink cameras and smart switches might not like/understand dual band. When you are back, you can enable "2.4 GHz and 5 GHz" band and see how your home devices react to it.

I suspect dual band is what was the problem with BT mesh system and your home devices that only run on 2.4 GHz.

Options
2023-04-11 08:27:06
I can’t seem to reply at any length. All working. Sorted last night. Thanks!
Options
2023-04-15 12:57:25

@Alexandre. Thank you sir, you made my day. It works fine now.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 514

Replies: 3

Related Articles