P9 bandwidth limit in Access Point mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-14 09:50:23
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 202012228 Rel 55057

I've recently upgraded my home broadband to 500Mbps but only seem to be able to get a maximum bandwidth of around 180Mbps (download) when connected to the Deco mesh network. When connected directly to the (EE) wireless router, I get bandwidth of between 350Mbps and 500Mbps (download). In both cases upload is consistent at 50Mbps.

I have the Deco's set up in Access Point mode - Is there a known constraint on throughput for P9 devices in this configuration?

I have read posts elsewhere that indicate that changing QoS settings is the way to fix this issue. However, QoS is not available in access point mode. Is there a way to increase bandwidth in Access Point mode without needing to change to router mode to use QoS settings to improve bandwidth?

TIA

Options
4 Reply
Re:P9 bandwidth limit in Access Point mode
2023-04-14 11:24:41

@pcouchman 

You got it a bit backward: in Router mode Deco will restrict bandwidth using QoS parameter. In Access Point mode QoS is disabled, Deco will always provide maximum bandwidth it is capable of. 

Switching Deco to Router mode will not improve speeds you are getting on devices connected to it.

The problem must be elsewhere. For initial troubleshooting, power off all Satellite Deco, connect device you use to test speeds with to Main Deco and run speed tests again. 

Options
2023-04-14 12:28:50

@Alexandre. Thanks for the suggestion.

I powered down the two satellite Decos. The Main Deco gave me a speed test of c350Mbps, which is the same speed as the main EE router. However, when I powered up the two satellite Decos again, the speed dropped back down to c150Mbps. Any suggestions on why this happens?

Options
2023-04-14 14:14:21 - last edited 2023-04-14 14:16:04

@pcouchman 

It is possible that when Satellite Deco are powered on, the device you run speed tests on is connected to Satellite P9. That was the reason I suggested to power off Satellite P9s: to make sure device is connected to Main Deco.

When device is connected to Satellite Deco, it may be hitting speed limits of powerline or WiFi link (powerline/WiFi backhaul) between Satellite and Main Deco. This limit may have been there all time, but you haven't seen it before because your broadband connection was slower than that limit.

Options
2023-04-14 15:38:34

Thanks  @Alexandre. 

The satellites are connected via WiFi link (not powerline) so it's likely to be that causing the limit as you say. I saw this post , which seems to explain the issue you are describing in more detail too. Not sure I'll be running LAN cables throughout my house so I'll probably look at connecting devices that need maximum bandwidth direct to the router WiFi and let the mesh cover any remote parts of the house.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 343

Replies: 4

Related Articles