Switching Deco x20 to WiFi Router Mode

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-17 20:33:36 - last edited 2023-04-17 21:23:54
Model: Deco X20  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 20220909 Rel: 59388

I have a new modem/router from my ISP in the UK. Its a Technicolor DGS0122.

It works fine and my Deco is in AP mode as it was with my previous ISP, SKY. Bcause their routers cant be switched into Bridge mode. Now, to be fair, everything works fine in AP mode and I get good speeds and coverage on WiFi through my 3 x Decos.  But it would be nice to at least try them in WiFi Router mode with the Technicolor router in Bridge mode. I'm having some issues switching the Tech to bridge as it just hangs when I try so I havent been able to test it at all.

However can someone please advise on the correct process to do this for the Decos. My thoughts onwhat should be straightforward is this

1. Unplug ethernet from main Deco

2. Switch Technicolor to Bridge mode

3. Plug main deco back in and assuming I still have Deco WiFi change to WiFi Router and enable Smart DHCP

The Technicolor in bridge mode should have directed internet to the LAN ports and the main Deco will then pick this up ? Question is does the Deco maintain its own internal WiFi so I can log in through the app and make the change ? And does what I say above make sense ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Switching Deco x20 to WiFi Router Mode-Solution
2023-04-17 21:12:18 - last edited 2023-04-17 21:23:54

@topgazza1 

The correct process would be in different order:

1. Change Deco mesh Operation Mode to WiFi Router. Verify that everything is fine with Deco mesh;

2. Power off all Deco units;

3. Switch Technicolor to Bridge mode;

4. Power on Main Deco. If it is listed as ONLINE in Deco app (meaning, it has established Internet link through Technicolor) - power on Satellite Deco.

---

Also, there is no option to enable/disable Smart DHCP feature in Deco Router mode. In that mode, Main Deco is DHCP server and that can't be turned off.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Switching Deco x20 to WiFi Router Mode-Solution
2023-04-17 21:12:18 - last edited 2023-04-17 21:23:54

@topgazza1 

The correct process would be in different order:

1. Change Deco mesh Operation Mode to WiFi Router. Verify that everything is fine with Deco mesh;

2. Power off all Deco units;

3. Switch Technicolor to Bridge mode;

4. Power on Main Deco. If it is listed as ONLINE in Deco app (meaning, it has established Internet link through Technicolor) - power on Satellite Deco.

---

Also, there is no option to enable/disable Smart DHCP feature in Deco Router mode. In that mode, Main Deco is DHCP server and that can't be turned off.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Switching Deco x20 to WiFi Router Mode
2023-04-17 21:22:49

@topgazza1 

Just goes to prove that the devil IS in the detail.

Thanks Alexandre.

Do I assume that I can leave the ethernet cable plugged in throughout that ?

Options
2023-04-17 21:29:12

@topgazza1 

You can keep Ethernet cable connected. Just note, in bridge mode your Technicolor Router will have only one active Ethernet port, the rest will be disabled. Make sure your Main Deco is connected to that Ethernet port. 

You may need to check documentation or ask Tech Support to figure which one it will be. Often, it is first or last port, but not guaranteed. If you can't find that info, just power off Main Deco, plug it to the next port, power Main Deco on and see if it gets Internet access. Repeat if not successful. Routers usually don't have more than 4 Ethernet ports, so it won't be long until you will find the active one.

Options
2023-04-17 21:32:43
Apparently bridge mode enables ports 1-3 for ethernet. Port 4 is only for access to the Technicolor, presumably by ethernet as there is no wifi.
Options
2023-04-20 13:08:33

@topgazza1 

update

Went perfectly and no issues. Thanks Alexandre

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2741

Replies: 5

Related Articles