New WAN Connection - Swap WAN and WAN/LAN1

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-20 15:50:23
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20220512 Rel.76748

Hi Community!

Looking for advice; we've just had a new fibre line installed and so I've set this up currently as an additional WAN - using the WAN/LAN1 port.

The original WAN connection will soon be going; it's very unreliable, but for the next few months we'll be paying for both, so may as well use both.

My question is; is there an option to prioritise the second (new) WAN without changing it to the 'WAN' port on the router?  As this would mean I need to set up both connections again under different ports?

Hope I have explained this correctly! 

Mike

Options
3 Reply
Re:New WAN Connection - Swap WAN and WAN/LAN1
2023-04-20 16:24:28

@MikeyG23 

You have two basic choices....Load Balance or Failover.  The former uses both connections (active-active), the latter will use 1 connection unless it fails, and the switch to the other.  It doesn't matter which is connected where.

If the old connection is so terrible, I'd question why you want to use it at all.  It would just mean that any connections load-balanced on to it would suffer the low bandwidth/low reliability.

If it was me, I'd set it up for failover, ie use shiny new connection unless it fails, then flop over to old connection.  There's a tick button in the Failover to force the router to switch back to the 'primary' connection if it comes back online...you'll want to tick this for sure!

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-21 06:14:45 - last edited 2023-04-21 06:15:32

@d0ugmac1 thanks for the quick response.  Yes, I would rather use the new connection and the old just as a failover.

I cannot seem to see how to set this up though?  Is it under Settings --> Wired Networks --> Internet? 

Edit: think I found it (Sorry!) - is this correct now?

screenshot

Options
2023-04-21 12:42:41

@MikeyG23 

Looks good!

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 186

Replies: 3