Deco X75 Pro - How to set Static IP in AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X75 Pro - How to set Static IP in AP mode?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
16 Reply
Re:Deco X75 Pro - How to set Static IP in AP mode?
2023-11-11 01:29:10

@Alexandre. LOL, yes indeed, the continual drive to reduce support costs, I'm told quite often "you can say NO" but I find it really hard to refuse feature requests so I'm often in trouble, indecision

Options
2023-11-27 03:42:52

@Alexandre. actually there are very good reasons to utilize static addressing on corporate networks. The most obvious are gateway addresses which must be static. Networking devices (switches, routers, etc.) almost always use static addressing for management. There are still quite a few applications that do not use FQDN and instead use IP addresses which often facilitates using static addressing. Usually servers are assigned static addresses instead of using DHCP reservation because you do not want a server not getting an IP in the event that DHCP is unavailable. Also in some cases, there are some devices that you just must use static addressing because the devices require it...there are still older devices using limited IP stacks. Now for end devices such as workstations and desktop IP phones...yes, DHCP is almost always used. The IP network that I am responsible for has over 15,000 addresses in use and I would guess that there are around 700-800 static devices.

In the home, the majority of the time DHCP is fine. Naturally your router is static and in some instances IP cameras may need static addressing depending on how you use them (standalone or DVR). I use DHCP reservations with some of my smart home devices in Home Assistant so I do not need to depend on them communicating through the cloud, but I would rather have the option to do static addressing. It is more of a preference of keeping static devices in a separate range of my IP network.  Just my two pennies.

Options
2023-12-02 10:00:43
Evil? Are you joking? You sound Chinese and uneducated. This product is going right back in the box and right back to Amazon. The fact that you just learned about static IPs and don't understand networking is hilarious. This is what passes for technical expertise here? TP Link is making toys, not networking gear.
Options
2023-12-02 22:35:42

@Alexandre. I believe it is beneficial to have the capabiilty to configure static IP for Android device, for specific wifi networks.

Remember, please, that your argument was "this is not possible on Android, hence it should not be possible on Deco".

It is perhaps not useful in your domectic network, and it is useful in other networks.

I believe you can easily recover from an incorrect static IP configured via Deco app: you connect to the Deco on its wifi network, and you adjust the static IP.

Options
2023-12-03 01:49:06

yves_b wrote

@Alexandre. I believe it is beneficial to have the capabiilty to configure static IP for Android device, for specific wifi networks.

Remember, please, that your argument was "this is not possible on Android, hence it should not be possible on Deco".

It is perhaps not useful in your domectic network, and it is useful in other networks.

@yves_b 

I think I should clarify one thing: I am not with TP-Link IT Support. I am not even affiliated with TP-Link. I am just visitor of this forum. As such, I am entitled to make mistakes. I made two in this conversation: didn't know one can configure Android smartphone with static IP address and haven't considered need for static IP addresses in large corporate environment. 

My real argument is: "this (static IP) is not necessary for regular consumer home network, which is target market for Deco mesh." I do run my Deco mesh in AP mode for three years now, with Main Deco having reserved IP address. DHCP IP reservation is more than enough for consumer home network.

You don't need to convince me, mine is just personal opinion. But all the replies I read here, they don't convince me otherwise.

Options
2023-12-03 09:04:24

@Alexandre. 

Deco can be configured with static IP in router mode.

Configuring Deco with a static IP in AP mode would eliminate the "smart dhcp" issues.

I do not believe it is constructive to discuss here if a feature is "necessary" or not.  We can help others by suggestion alternative solutions, not by stating that what they want to do in not necessary.

Options
Related Articles