Deco X75 Pro - How to set Static IP in AP mode?

2023-04-24 15:02:03
Model: Deco XE75 Pro  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi all,

I have a 3 Pack of Deco XE75 Pro and they are working fine in most respects.

They are in Access Point mode into a Archer AXE75.

But I am wanting to set static IP's on the 3 units, but in the Advanced section there is no place to change the IP address.

Anyone know how to accomplish this?

...Skeeve

Options
16 Reply
Re:Deco X75 Pro - How to set Static IP in AP mode?
2023-04-24 15:13:37 - last edited 2023-04-24 15:14:05

@Skeeve_Stevens 

You do configure static IP addresses for Deco X75s in Archer  AXE75 router configuration settings. There, in Archer router, you will see Deco X75s as regular wired networking devices with their MAC addresses.

Options
2023-04-24 15:16:29

@Alexandre. Are you suggesting setting them via DHCP reserved entries?

Options
2023-04-24 15:19:11

@Skeeve_Stevens 

Yes, DHCP IP address reservation on router is the only way.

In Access Point mode your Deco units are just regular networking devices as far as Archer router concerned, no different from Smart TV, desktop PC, networking printer, etc., etc.

Options
2023-04-24 17:07:31

@Alexandre. No offense to you, but this is a highly stupid and improper way of designing the network stack in such a device.

A DHCP address reservation is not the same as a Static IP.  It makes the Deco dependent on a specific DHCP Server, which is BAD network design.

I am about to shutdown my Archer's DHCP server because it is so limited and move it to another device. This means I will need to create new reservations where I shouldn't need to.  The devices should be able to be independent of the rest of the network.

I shouldn't have to use Router mode to use Static IPs. If the function is already there, then why lock it off?

...Skeeve

Options
2023-06-17 21:08:54

@Skeeve_Stevens This is by no means the only weird thing about new TPlink devices. I am not sure how these devices pass any testing. They try all the 'smart' things nobody in their right mind wants (like app control, router wanting cloud connectivity and stealing heaps of my data), and don't do fundamental things. ANY network device must be able to accept static IP address - let alone something they are trying to pass as router at a sky-high price point. Tp link is making toys and playing manufacturing. Never again

Options
2023-11-10 15:39:21

@Skeeve_Stevens @Alexandre any update? it's ridiculous that Deco doesn't have an option to configure static ip just like any other network device. 

Options
2023-11-10 15:48:45

jose-eduardo wrote

@Skeeve_Stevens @Alexandre any update? it's ridiculous that Deco doesn't have an option to configure static ip just like any other network device. 

@jose-eduardo 

Speaking about "all other network devices," please tell me how would you configure static IP address for the Android smartphone, if not with DHCP server IP reservation?

Options
2023-11-11 00:59:12

Alexandre. wrote

jose-eduardo wrote

@jose-eduardo 

Speaking about "all other network devices," please tell me how would you configure static IP address for the Android smartphone, if not with DHCP server IP reservation?

@Alexandre. yeah, you would configure the DHCP server to exclude a block of addresses you plan on using for static IP addresses.

Then go to the Android phone settings (mine is a Samsung phone) Connections -> WiFi, select the wireless interface cog wheel under Current network, select View more,tap on IP Settings and select Static and set the remaining network parameters.

TBH I don't reserve a block of addresses for this any more I use DHCP reservations because different routers can use a different subnet and I don't want to change the default since firmware developers can make mistakes leading to problems and I definitely don't want to go to network devices to change the static IP every time I change routers which has happened a lot in the past.

Options
2023-11-11 01:14:48 - last edited 2023-11-11 01:16:17

@Skeeve_Stevens there is one thing you cannot avoid and that is for certain routers in a vendors range the vendors are making their setup as minimal as possible and the Deco range is one of those ranges.

So adding new settings like this is usually strongly resisted.

There's nothing we can do about it and complaining usually doesn't make a difference.

The rational is usually to keep it simple for the every day user that doesn't want or need to change settings and expect it to just work.

The flaw in that is that things frequently don't just work.

For example I have an air conditioner that refuses to connect to the network of my BE85, I'm pretty sure it's because the 2.4 GHz band is 40MHz wide and this dumb device expects 20MHz, that's the only difference I can see and one cannot set the width of the 2.4GHz band in the Deco app. What's even more stupid is this device was working fine and I just wanted to change it to use the IoT SSID and now it won't connect "and" I reconnected two of these very same devices to my XE75 without a problem when I was using it!!!!

Options
2023-11-11 01:22:10

@raven-au 

Learned something new today, thanks. This is well hidden on Android for people not to use it often, because they shouldn't.

Generally speaking, in this century having static IP configured on device is evil. It should not be done in corporate environment, and it is not necessary in home network. I see people coming here complaining their PC or printer does not work with Deco mesh and it must be Deco fault, just to say later "never mind, I had static IP configured on device. Changed it to dynamic, all is good now."

It is good that on PC or printer one can undo static IP configuration, but Deco unit is a headless device. Given an option to set static IP through Deco app, if done incorrectly there is no way to fix it. Same with replacing ISP router with new one having different default IP range. The only solution would be to factory reset Deco unit. Also, imagine calls to Support with "my Deco unit can't connect to Deco mesh, used to work just fine."

Sometimes, out of spite, I wish TP-Link does allow things like that, so that people learn from their own mistakes. Just like my Synology NAS, where one could configure firewall to block all connections to NAS and only way out of it is NAS factory reset. Guess who the person who configured NAS firewall that way blamed? They blamed Synology, of course! 

You can't please everyone...

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2473

Replies: 16

Related Articles