Upgrading Deco setup to new hardware

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-04-26 10:36:04 - last edited 2023-04-27 01:52:38
Tags: #Deco
Model: Deco E4   Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.54

Deco’sHello,

I have been using a setup with 2x Deco E4's for some time. It works really well but we are due to move home soon and need a better system with more units. I have just purchased a set of 3x Deco S7's and plan to set them up soon. I will then give the E4's (along with two more) to my parents and set up at their house.

I have spent a lot of time with settings and naming and prioritising all my devices, I am wondering if there is a way to upgrade my system without loosing that info.

What I am asking is the following, is there a

way to wipe the E4's and log out of them, can I then log back in on the S7's and have the same device info and settings. I am looking to replicate my original SSID to save changing all devices.

I then plan to give the E4's to my parents (x4) and set them up on a different tp-link account for them. That way it can be managed separately. Unless there is a way to manage both networks from within my app?

The other question I have is this: do you have to have all matching devices to build a network, or can you mix and match with different Deco's as needed?

Thanks in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Upgrading Deco setup to new hardware-Solution
2023-04-26 12:00:47 - last edited 2023-04-27 01:52:38

@Cdoney77 

This is how you can keep settings:

1. Add S7 as Satellite Deco to your existent Deco mesh.

2. Promote S7 to Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

3. Delete (Remove) all Deco E4 units you plan to give away: How can I reset or reboot my Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System? Follow Method 1.

4. Your settings will be kept by Main Deco S7. Add remaining Deco S7 (or other models) as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

You can manage both Deco mesh networks as separate networks within Deco app.

You do not need to have all matching devices to build a network. It is OK to mix different Deco models as needed, but different Deco models may have different features, so a bit of research may be required to ensure your Deco mesh does not lose a feature you need just because you added Deco unit to it which does not support that feature.

It should be OK to mix E4 and S7 in one Deco mesh for example.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Upgrading Deco setup to new hardware-Solution
2023-04-26 12:00:47 - last edited 2023-04-27 01:52:38

@Cdoney77 

This is how you can keep settings:

1. Add S7 as Satellite Deco to your existent Deco mesh.

2. Promote S7 to Main Deco: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

3. Delete (Remove) all Deco E4 units you plan to give away: How can I reset or reboot my Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System? Follow Method 1.

4. Your settings will be kept by Main Deco S7. Add remaining Deco S7 (or other models) as Satellite Deco to your Deco mesh.

You can manage both Deco mesh networks as separate networks within Deco app.

You do not need to have all matching devices to build a network. It is OK to mix different Deco models as needed, but different Deco models may have different features, so a bit of research may be required to ensure your Deco mesh does not lose a feature you need just because you added Deco unit to it which does not support that feature.

It should be OK to mix E4 and S7 in one Deco mesh for example.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Upgrading Deco setup to new hardware
2023-04-26 15:14:17

@Alexandre. Thank you very much for this. Really helpful. I will try this soon and come back if I find any issues. Chris 👍

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 416

Replies: 2

Tags

Deco
Related Articles