Deco x20 and sky

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco x20 and sky

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco x20 and sky
Deco x20 and sky
2023-04-28 14:28:19

We have a deco X20 with 3 nodes which previously worked well with virgin internet and sky TV. 

I've 'upgraded' to sky FTTP ultra fast but now can't use the x20 as a router/mesh and can only use as access points. The wifi is completely unstable as a result, and I'm dropping connections all over the house. 
From conversations with sky I can't switch their router into modem so essentially not compatible with x20. 

I'm now looking to switch over to a different FTTP provider but I wanted to check that I wouldn't have the issue with another provider?

Are there any recommended ones that work well with x20? I'm looking at Plusnet. 

Or any other solutions that would allow me to utilise full use of the X20?!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco x20 and sky
2023-04-28 18:33:36

@LucyBee I presume with virgin you had the option to change your route to bridge mode and the deco provided the dhcp etc. right?

Even if your new provider doesn't let you switch them to bridge mode, the deco will work to provide AP functions, albeit it might not say so.

The WiFi is probably unstable as the SKY router and deco are broadcasting the same SSID but with different network addresses as the Deco will try to create its own NAT network behind the main router.

There is a way to make the deco work as an AP on your normal SKY network, i cant remember what i did to make it work (not helpful i know) i'll play with mine to confirm.

Options
2023-04-28 18:44:12

@Ian_D 

thanks for the reply,

yes I had the virgin router in modem and then used the x20 as router. 
Currently using the x20 in access points as SKY won't let you out router into modem mode. 
move just turned off the sky wifi completely so will see if that helps 

But may switch provider as Sky monumentally unhelpful and just trying to sell me broadband boosters!

Options
2023-04-28 20:14:49 - last edited 2023-04-28 20:21:04

@LucyBee 

Plusnet and BT FTTP will work with the X20 as they use PPPoE as the connection type so you can connect the X20 directly to the ONT where the fibre comes into your property.

Options
2023-04-29 16:23:27

@LucyBee ahh yeah, SKY support, or the lack of :)

Thats a real pain if you cant switch to bridge mode then. Maybe you're right, new provider time that will let you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 568

Replies: 4

Related Articles