Adding ip adress to SFP module is not possible

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-07 13:46:25
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.3.0

Hi:

I need to do this in iproute-speak:

ip addr add 192.168.1.100/24 dev eth0 

for the er7206 device eth0 is the SFP internally

This very simple operation is not possible at least in controller-mode

There is an option called "secondary connection" that offers ip/netmask  texboxes but that does not do the same thing. in my case it works briefly but then the pppoe connection estabilished on SFP goes down because (im educated guessing not actually found the cause) the ip/netmask is added to the ppp device and not to the ethernet device (DOH!)

pppoe is dilaing out via eth.xxxx vlan interface not using the root device but in either case it should work but doesn't

Is there any way to do this with the CLI ?

Options
9 Reply
Re:Adding ip adress to SFP module is not possible
2023-05-07 14:08:41
In the past when logging to the router , I got a linux shell.. now I get a cisco-like cli that does not appear functional at least when logged with the "Device Account" user/pass.. entering privileged mode makes no difference,,
Options
2023-05-08 03:09:44

@crrodriguez 

Don't you just want to create the LAN subnet 192.168.0.0/24 on the router, and then make the router interface IP 192.168.0.100?  The web GUI should enable you to do this.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-05-08 03:22:07 - last edited 2023-05-08 03:23:32

@d0ugmac1  the sfp web Interface for controlling it as by default at 192.168.1.1/24  but I need the address set to the sfp interface. The idea is to get a route to inside the module for adminstration

crrodriguez wrote

Hi:

There is an option called "secondary connection" that offers ip/netmask  texboxes but that does not do the same thing. in my case it works briefly but then the pppoe connection estabilished on SFP goes down because (im educated guessing not actually found the cause) the ip/netmask is added to the ppp device and not to the ethernet device (DOH!)

pppoe is dilaing out via eth.xxxx vlan interface not using the root device but in either case it should work but doesn't

crrodriguez wrote

Hi:

Options
2023-05-08 03:34:11

@crrodriguez 

So you have an SFP with an internal web management interface?  I'm pretty sure that was never envisioned by the TPlink guys! 

What happens if you set a static or policy route for the SFP management IP via the assigned port IP of the SFP?  For instance if your SFP was installed in a port with a native PVID for LAN10, and LAN10's subnet was defined as 172.16.16.0/24 (so the 7206's IP would be 172.16.16.1) and you set a policy route for traffic going to 192.168.0.100/32 via 172.16.16.1?

Options
2023-05-08 13:36:43

@d0ugmac1 yeah, web and telnet/ssh. standard on  fiber modules IIRC..

PVID cannot be set to the SFP port, at least in controller mode.. 

The standard way is either adding an ip to the SFP device or using SNAT and a static route somwehere.. unfortunately neither are available. here.

And no, I have tried every trick on the book to get access to it,  setting static wan ip of course works, but in that case the PPPoE internet must be disconnected, since SFP cannot have more than one address . I do not bother with this and unplug the device in that case to use a fiber converter when I want to make any change. this is quite inconvenient.

Options
2023-05-08 14:32:01

@crrodriguez 

Sounds like you should make this a feature request in the Requests and Suggestions forum.  

If you plug this module into a managed switch with SFP ports can you do what you need to?  Is this just a limitation of the router (again, a long standing reason to treat a router like router+switch from Omada's point of view), or is a limitation of the entire Omada system?

Options
2023-05-08 14:36:43
No problem with a managed switch.. too bad it is in the other room :-)
Options
2023-05-08 15:44:09
Ok, definitely a request to provide more 'switch' functionality on 'router' ports then :)
Options
2023-05-08 15:52:35
You can set PVID for example..on all the ethernet ports.. however the SFP is second class..for whatever reason..
Options