Deco Setup - speed loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco Setup - speed loss

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco Setup - speed loss
Deco Setup - speed loss
2023-05-12 18:38:37
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi everyone

I wanted to ask some advice on how to improve my setup as decos further down the chain are losing speed.

My setup is as per the photo below. All decos are connected wirelessly apart from the main (conservatory). The attic deco is on the 3rd floor, the bedroom decos on the 2nd floor and everything else on the 1st floor. So decos connect to the main unit get around 350Mbps speed which is what my ISP speed is but the attic and main bedroom speed drop to around 80 - 100 Mbps. Is it nomal for speed to drop as you add more decos to the chain?

Any suggestions on how I can get a consistent speed across all the units?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Deco Setup - speed loss
2023-05-12 19:32:01 - last edited 2023-05-12 19:32:41

@2frustrated 

The speed will drop as you add more Deco to the chain. On each hop expect to lose up to 50% of speed, somewhat  less with tri-band Deco. XE75 is tri-band. 

In perfect conditions, I would have expected Attic and Main Bedroom Deco deliver a bit faster speeds, closer to 150-200Mbps. I wonder if they are too far from Satellites they are connected to. Would you pease share List View (Show List) of your Decos, from Deco app. 

Example from my Deco app:

That will show the signal strength of WiFi backhaul between Deco units.

Options
2023-05-16 08:48:58 - last edited 2023-05-16 08:51:33

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay in responding.

The distance from the hallway to attic is quite far so can understand that but the main bedroom and bedroom are 4 metres from each other. 

I would expect the attic one to connect to the bedroom deco as its closer but I'm thinking that I need to remove and add this again as once they are connected to a unit thats it.

If I hard wire the main bedroom to bedroom am I correct in thinking that there will be no speed loss between the two? Any speed loss will be whatever the bedroom receives from the conservatory?

I've posted the list view below as requested. Thanks for your help again

Options
2023-05-16 11:37:23

@2frustrated 

If you hard wire Main Bedroom to Bedroom, you should see the same WiFi speeds for Main Bedroom you now have for Bedroom. For Main Bedroom, it will be definite improvement.

In regard to Attic node not connecting to closer Bedroom, I suggest you power off Hallway node and see where Attic node will connect after that. Then, power on Hallway node back. 

Options
2023-05-16 11:41:22

@Alexandre. 

Great stuff. Let me try that and get back to you.

Options
2023-05-16 13:41:07 - last edited 2023-05-16 13:43:36

@2frustrated 

Check this forum topic: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/609248

You may be able to upgrade your XE75 to new firmware that supports Signal Source selection, meaning after firmware upgrade you will be able to configure Attic Deco to connect to Bedroom Deco.

Important: check hardware version of your Deco units. It appears, that firmware update is only for hardware V1, not for hardware V2.

Options
2023-05-16 15:28:29 - last edited 2023-05-16 15:29:12

@Alexandre. 

Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunalety my hardware version V2. That being said, there was a firmware version upgrade available which I have now installed as per the image below.

Options
2023-05-17 13:05:39

@Alexandre. 

Since installing the firmware update my network map has changed as per the image below.

Speeds also seem to have improved. Doing further tests at the weekend and will keep you posted. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 455

Replies: 7

Related Articles