how to connect/configure DecoM5 with RJ45 cable to the home router (TP-Link VR600v3, AC2100)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

how to connect/configure DecoM5 with RJ45 cable to the home router (TP-Link VR600v3, AC2100)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-17 07:26:03
Model: Deco M5   Archer VR600  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have an Arcer VR600 home router which is supposed to support DECO. 

I got 3 Deco M5 which I like to connect by a RJ45 cable directly to the home router, becuase my house is rather big and made of concrete, blocking WiFi between the floors.

My target setup:

1. home router with WiFi enabled, 2.4/5 

2. a switch connecting all the rooms to the home router LAN

3. install 3 DECO M5 in different rooms, connecting to the home routher (via switch) with Ethernet RJ45 cable

how do I configure DECO M5 to allow each of the DECO devices to be directly conencted to the home router and sync with the already-configured WiFi?

[DECO app only allows connecting additional Deco devices via WiFi, not via cable]

thanks for any suggestions and support! 

Options
4 Reply
Re:how to connect/configure DecoM5 with RJ45 cable to the home router (TP-Link VR600v3, AC2100)
2023-05-17 14:08:58

@MatanR 

Archer VR600 home router is not compatible with Deco mesh. Archer VR600 router WiFi coverage can be extended by adding OneMesh range extenders.

It is possible to run Deco mesh together with Archer VR600, but Deco mesh will run its own WiFi network. If you plan to keep Deco M5 set anyway, I can give you more details on how to achieve that. 

Options
Re:how to connect/configure DecoM5 with RJ45 cable to the home router (TP-Link VR600v3, AC2100)
2023-05-17 14:15:59

@Alexandre. Thanks!

So with you input I am disconnecting the Archer for the Wifi network and keeping it as a modem only. 

is it possible to have 3 Deco M5 connected to the switch (if too far from one another)? 

Options
2023-05-17 14:49:01

@MatanR 

Turn off WiFi on Archer router, don't make any other configuration changes in it.

Add and configure Main Deco through Deco app. Main Deco must be wired and I would recommend for initial configuration to connect it directly to Archer router with short Ethernet cable.

Change Deco Operation mode to Access Point: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

Add Satellite Deco to Deco mesh, but do not have them Ethernet wired (yet). Bring them to where Main Deco is, so that they have good WiFi link to it, and add them through Deco app.

After they are successfully added to Deco mesh, take Main Deco and Satellite Decos to their permanent place and wire them there. As long as networking switch is compatible with Deco Ethernet backhaul, you shouldn't have issues. More of that topic here: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2023-05-17 15:14:59
Thanks a lot!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 341

Replies: 4