Can a TP-Link router replace a BT Home Hub?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-23 11:32:42 - last edited 2023-05-23 11:35:48
Model: RE650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Please excuse my ignorance of this subject, but I have an RE650 extender which works well, though of course its output is the router's with an _EXT extension. Because my router is a BT Hub 2 (though to complicate matters the actual network I'm extending is the one used by its WholeHome white discs), it is not compatible with OneMesh, so I need to click back and forth between the basic network and its extension when moving around the house. 

Is the solution actually to buy a TP-Link router to replace the BT one?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Can a TP-Link router replace a BT Home Hub?
2023-05-24 02:51:53

@Gareth_Glyn 

Hi, Is your RE650 V2 or V1? Please note that V1 RE650 doesn't support OneMesh.

In addition, the BT Home Hub is a router only, not a modem, right? If so, purchasing a TP-Link OneMesh router could create OneMesh network with OneMesh extenders.

By the way, for your current network, you could also try to customize the extended network name to make it exactly the same as your router, then check if it will work better.

Options
Re:Can a TP-Link router replace a BT Home Hub?
2023-05-24 09:25:40

Many thanks, once again.  I hadn't thought of changing the _EXT SSID to match the router's one, but I can easily do that within the Tether app.  I'll give it a try.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 417

Replies: 2

Related Articles