Deco X60 ethernet port seems limited to 100mb/s

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-05-25 14:02:42
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.15 Build 20221111 Rel. 77798

Hi,

I have a 900mb/s broadband connection with EE.  My main X60 is plugged into the EE router with an Ethernet cable.  I get WIFI speeds of 900+ mb/s in this room.

I have a second X60 at the other end of this room.  I have connected a 25m cable to the ethernet port of this X60.  This runs to my external office.  In my office I have a third X60 into which I have plugged the other end of the 25m cable so that the 2nd and 3rd X60's use ethernet for backhaul.

In my office I am getting 80-90mb/s but with very choppy quality (150ms download latency when using Speedtest.net).  I have completely re-run the cable.  It was using back boxes and patch leads, but I just stuck RJ45 connectors on the end of a brand new length of cable to rule out as many components as possible.  It's still 80-90mb/s.

I have just plugged a laptop with a Gigabit network card into the back of the second X60 using a cat-7 patch cable.  It is still only getting 80-90mb/s so I am now very confident that the throughput coming out of the second X60's ethernet port (I've tried them both) is limited to 100mb/s.

Is there anything else I can try to improve this ethernet speed?

Thanks

Setup:
EE Router <= ethernet => 1st Deco <~ wifi ~> 2nd Deco <= ethernet => 3rd Deco

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco X60 ethernet port seems limited to 100mb/s
2023-05-25 15:20:13 - last edited 2023-05-25 15:30:20

@p0rkskratchin 

It is likely there is something else that limits wired and wireless speed of devices connected to Satellite Deco, not the Ethernet port.

To remove any possibility of Deco configuration settings throttling the connection, I recommend switching Deco mesh to run in Access Point mode: How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode

After you've done that, if there are no improvements in speed test results please run the following tests:

Power off 3rd Deco.

Bring 2nd Deco to Main Deco and daisy chain them with Ethernet cable. Connect laptop to free Ethernet port of 2nd Deco and run speed test on laptop.

EE Router <= ethernet => 1st Deco <= ethernet => 2nd Deco <= ethernet => laptop

The expectation is to see speeds on laptop reaching gigabit, and that is going to prove that there is nothing wrong with 2nd Deco Ethernet ports. If with that setup speed test on laptop does not go above 100Mbps, the suspects are Ethernet cables you use and hardware issue with 2nd Deco.

If laptop reports close to gigabit speeds, proceed with the next test.

Keep 3rd Deco powered off. 

Return 2nd Deco to its permanent place, and have laptop wired to 2nd Deco Ethernet port, with same Ethernet cable you used to wire laptop to Deco in previous step.

EE Router <= ethernet => 1st Deco <~ wifi ~>  2nd Deco <= ethernet => laptop

What speeds are you getting with that setup?

Also, with that setup and 3rd Deco still powered off, please make screenshot of Show List page in Deco app and share it here. Example:

Options