Deco M9 Wifi Extended Range for Outdoors Help

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-02 08:01:56
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.1

Hello First Post! I am a complete novice with networks sorry!

I have wifi 6 528mb internet with 2x Deco M9 Plus discs. I have 1 disc plugged into the Shell internet router which is located downstairs but under the stairs, then the 2nd disc is on the middle floor in the office used as a hard wired internet to the PC and laptop which then also gives the top floor wifi with no problem.

The issue I am having is the wifi signal downstairs isn't great, the ring doorbell struggles to get decent signal despite only being 10m away from the router. There is also no wifi signal outside in the garden to the front or the back.

My question is, how do i get a decent signal outside to the ring doorbell and the garden?

It seems a waste of a disc to be sat plugged into the router downstairs, is there a way i can unplug the Deco disc under the stairs which is plugged into the router, and have this in the kitchen or lounge? This  should give stronger signal? Or do i need another M9 disc? Or some kind of extender, but I have had a few of these in the past and they don't seem to work as well as the the Deco M9 system which is the main reason for investing in the Deco M9.

Might seem a stupid question, sorry! 

Thanks in advance :)

Dan

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M9 Wifi Extended Range for Outdoors Help
2023-06-02 12:47:56

@DeeBee86 

You can move Main Deco away from the router, as long as Main Deco stays connected with Ethernet cable to router.  Sorry, that's the requirement for Main Deco.

The proper way to provide coverage for areas with weak signal is to add more Deco. Before you go and grab another 2-pack of M9 Plus (they are not sold in single units) I suggest you test if your ring doorbell really suffers from poor WiFi signal, or perhaps it can't work well with Deco mesh.

Here is the test you can run: take your Satellite Deco M9 Plus and temporarily place it in between Main Deco and ring doorbell, ideally in the middle: about 5 meters away from both. Bounce doorbell and see if it connects to Satellite Deco. If it does not - configure connection preference for it in Deco mesh to force doorbell connect to Satellite Deco and bounce doorbell again.

Possible outcomes:

1. Doorbell keeps connecting to Main Deco no matter what you do. 

If this is the case, buying more Satellite Deco won't help with it.

2. Doorbell connected to Satellite Deco, but still struggles. 

It points at possible compatibility issues between doorbell and Deco mesh, buying more Satellite Deco won't help with it.

3. Doorbell connected to Satellite Deco, works well. 

Time to invest in additional 2-pack Deco M9 Plus.

Options
2023-06-02 14:26:15

@Alexandre. Brilliant, thank you for your reply.

I will give this ago

Many thanks 

Options
2023-06-02 16:05:19 - last edited 2023-06-02 16:08:13

@DeeBee86 

Seems like you need a deco between the doorbell/garden and Main Hard wired deco, Also in the app on your M9 which deco is the Doorbell connected to and is it connecting to the strongest closest one. ( had problems with devices connecting to my Top floor deco when device was on the Ground floor.  

My Deco M9s 3 pack recently had a nice upgrade of the firmware so i can force devices to connect to closer Decos.  My Ring Pro 1st gen hardwired doorbell works perfectly with my M9s  got it forced to closest deco, 2.4htz network and turned off the mesh technology option for the device in the app. 

Single decos M9s are normally available on the famous auction site if needed

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 339

Replies: 3