Devices drop out irregulary

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-03 09:38:24
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057

Hi,

Long story, but added all info and all issues we experience and all potentially relevant information just trying to be complete.

The setup

We have a network set up of 3 Deco P9 devices of which one is the master and two Deco P7 devices. Except for one P7 all devices are wired connected.

I have seen monitoring the Deco app that the "unwired" P7 switches sometimes from a direct connection to the master or connection via another P7 slave and most often the latter.

The P9's are all HW version 1 and Firmware version 1.1.3 Build 20201228 Rel. 55057.

The P7's seems to be HW version 1 too with Firmware version 1.4.9 Build 20200918 Rel. 74680.
According to the Deco app all updated with the latest version.

The master is set up as an access point as it is connected to a KPN Experia Box (Dutch provider box) which is the outside connection device for tv, telephone (not in use) and internet.

Fast Roaming is on, Beamforming is off.

It has a 2.4GHz and 5GHz band.

The issues

We experience irregular drop outs of Deco devices in our network. For most of the time it is stable. But, mostly at nights, there are "waves" of continuous drop outs of Deco devices.

While monitoring the app during "problem hours" I noticed that it can happen to any Deco device in our network. During a wave I see continuous issues with at least one of the devices in the network.

When a "slave" drops out we hardly notice it as there is another "slave" in reach except for one outside camera which is why we have situated that one unwired P7, so when that one drops out we get error messages after 10 minutes (!) of no connection. And when the device at the second floor drops, we do notice that too with slow or bad connection.

When the master drops, we of course notice it immediately as the whole network will be down.

After 1 or 2 hours of continuous drops the wave stops and the network is stable again for 1, 2 or 3 day or so, till the next wave pops up.

You can imagine these waves are really annoying.

The waves did not happen in the past. It is something that happens since a couple of weeks.

Monitoring the app I see that the slaves do come back in the network after a period of time varying from a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes as the outside camera error messages also imply.

When the master drops, we unplug a network cable from the device or the power cable, wait for 10 secs, plug it in again and the connection is back after another 10 secs. Though when there is a wave going on, it doesn't last long. So sometimes we are sick of it and let it go and then the master will come back up again after a various amount of minutes - although we are not sure but that seems to work better to stop the wave then unplug a cable.

Issues in the past - relevant or not?

Before we did have other issues. When for whatever reason we had an electricity power shut down influencing the master, we also had irregular drop outs of the master. It looked as if it had to resettle the network with a certain number of attempts. The drop down were very regularly right after the power shut down with a slowly decreasing frequency till after 2 or 3 days the network was stable again.

Also when we buy a new computer or anything else to be connected to the network, the network drops once or twice.

But the waves we experience last couple of weeks are different and there is no new computer or phone or whatever added to the network.

Questions

Any ideas what could be the cause?

There is some "network interference" (not sure about correct translation here) when I do the Deco Lab test. Could that be it?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Devices drop out irregulary
2023-06-03 14:14:53 - last edited 2023-06-03 14:15:57

@JohanB1971 

Deco P7 and P9 are powerline capable. Which means, they may use powerline to establish backhaul link. Powerline devices are very sensitive to what happens with electrical wiring at your house. 

What you describe is not surprising if P9/P7 use powerline for backhaul and there is either something connected to electrical outlet(s) causing interference (dimmable lamp can do, for example) or power fluctuations in the grid. 

For more info on what could cause issues with powerline capable devices, Google "why my powerline adapters are not working."

For Ethernet wired P9/P7 that should not be an issue, because Ethernet backhaul will take preference. The first step, then, would be to double check if your P9/P7 do indeed use Ethernet for backhaul or they are using powerline. Start with this: General Questions about the Powerline or PLC Backhaul Feature of Deco

If you find your wired P9/P7 can't use Ethernet, see this: General questions about Ethernet Backhaul feature on your Deco

Options
2023-06-04 08:32:35

@Alexandre

Thanks for your reply.

Although I already knew, I did double check it in the Deco app. As explained in the Setup part, except for one all Deco devices are "wired" connected, which actually means via Ethernet.

The one not is indeed "PLC + wifi" connected. And if that one drops out once in a while, that is understandable indeed.

But I have wired them all on purpose. I had put in empty pvc pipes in the construction plan of the house for this purpose. Let them unused in the beginning but that was indeed causing a lot of slow and unstable wifi network. I pulled cables through them for ethernet connections, and all worked much better. That one location where the "PLC + wifi" deco is located was not foreseen upfront to become a place to have a deco - as "they" say you need to build a house 3 times before you know where to put all conveniences to improve QOL ;-).

So the power variances does not seem to be the cause.

Also I want to emphasize that in the Netherlands power shortage is not (yet!!!) a common thing. Power is very stable out here. The only times we have a power drop is when it is done manually on purpose for whatever reason like installing heavy electronic appliances, or as we had twice in the last 8 years when lightning strikes in very closeby. Otherwise we never have any power issues. And it is a relative new house we build 7 years ago, so the power lines in house are still very good. So I do not think that is a cause.

Options
2023-06-04 11:47:24

@JohanB1971 

If you are confident your wired Deco units do use Ethernet for backhaul, I am out of ideas, sorry. The only thing I can suggest is when "waves" are coming - check if Satellite Decos switch to PLC/WiFi, that could mean issues with Ethernet wiring or switch(es).

As for "There is some "network interference" when I do the Deco Lab test. Could that be it?" - no, that's not it. This is for WiFi interference, meaning how congested are airwaves with WiFi signal from your Deco mesh and from neighbors' WiFi routers. It is also not very reliable, sometimes complaining of WiFi interference from Deco mesh itself. Just ignore that, it has nothing to do with the issue you described.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 311

Replies: 3

Related Articles