Is it possible to feed E4 router with box Wifi rather than Ethernet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-03 11:01:18 - last edited 2023-06-03 16:20:15
Tags: #WIFI
Model: Deco E4  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:
Hi team,

E4 presentation annouces 1200 Mbps on Wifi while the E4 device cannot be fed with more than 100Mbps through its Internet port... The consequence is that I get a maximum of 88Mbps on the E4 wifi.

I have around 500Mbps on my Internet box Wifi so I would like to know if the E4 router can take its input signal from the Box Wifi rather than from Ethernet port? So even if I lost half of the source wifi throughput, I would still get around 250Mbps emitted by the E4 which is far better than current 88 Mbps.

The network wizard for E4 does not propose this option of specifying a source wifi. Is it possible and how?
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is it possible to feed E4 router with box Wifi rather than Ethernet?-Solution
2023-06-03 13:35:32 - last edited 2023-06-03 16:20:15

@MichelR 

Main Deco must be connected by Ethernet cable, there is no way around it.

The recommended solution, if you plan to keep E4, is to buy single Deco unit which has gigabit Ethernet ports, such as M5 or M4. Add it to your Deco mesh, promote to Main Deco and you'll unlock your Internet speeds.

Your E4 will become Satellite Deco wirelessly connected to Main Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Is it possible to feed E4 router with box Wifi rather than Ethernet?-Solution
2023-06-03 13:35:32 - last edited 2023-06-03 16:20:15

@MichelR 

Main Deco must be connected by Ethernet cable, there is no way around it.

The recommended solution, if you plan to keep E4, is to buy single Deco unit which has gigabit Ethernet ports, such as M5 or M4. Add it to your Deco mesh, promote to Main Deco and you'll unlock your Internet speeds.

Your E4 will become Satellite Deco wirelessly connected to Main Deco.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Is it possible to feed E4 router with box Wifi rather than Ethernet?
2023-06-03 16:07:17 - last edited 2023-06-03 16:20:02

Thanks a lot @Alexandre That is the answer I was afraid about ;-)

So E4 commercial presentation is a bit misleading when they announce 1200Mbps throughput. They should explicitly mention you need to additionnally purchase a Gigabit Ethernet router to unlock the E4 bandwidth.

I will need to compare prices of M4/M5 versus wifi repeaters (20€ each)  from my Internet provider. I already tested the one coming out of the box and it repeats my wifi  at 210+Mbps which is already better than 88 Mbps.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 283

Replies: 2

Tags

WIFI
Related Articles