Configuration of multiple Switches

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-03 22:55:01 - last edited 2023-06-04 16:25:37
Model: TL-SG3452XP  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.0.2

I'm struggling with the proper configuration of my switches for high availbilty. I got multiple switches (for better understanding, i did only describe it with the biggest one) and i want to split them up with two TL-SX3016F, because the servers are connected to the SX-3016F (CEPH and VM Network). The 3 TL-SG3452XP are connected over the SFP+ ports (51/52) to each TL-SX3016F. (Image is attached for better understanding)

The problem is, when didnt config the LAG on the TL-SG3452XP for 51/52 the loopback detection will disable one of the both ports on each switch which will result in problems of connectivity. If i enable LAG on the TL-SG3452XP on 51/52 i did also face some connectivity issues.

What is the proper config for that scenario? I would appreciate it, if someone has a hint for me how to config that? I was thinking about to set LAG on 51/52 on each TL-SG3452XP and a LAG over the 1/2/3 on each SX-3016F - but i dont think this is the the solution.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Configuration of multiple Switches-Solution
2023-06-04 13:04:16 - last edited 2023-06-04 16:25:37

@rebru 

Enable STP/RSTP on all switches. Disable the loopback detection entirely. These two technologies should not be used together. Give the SX switches higher priority (lower number) than the SG ones. You should not create LAGs on connections with two different switches unless those two switches are stacked. When two different switches are stacked, they act as one. Your SX switches do not support stacking. You need LACP LAGs in such a configuration. LACP LAGs are meant to connect a pair of switches. I would not even try to use something like the round robin or adaptive link aggregation in that configuration. Good luck!

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Configuration of multiple Switches
2023-06-04 01:07:18

@rebru 

My knowledge of the SX-3016F is limited, but it looks to me that best you can do is to add a LAG between the two SX-3016Fs and use STP/RSTP in your setup. Unfortunately, one link in your TL-SG3452XPs will be always blocked, but connectivity and redundancy will be there. You could’ve used LAGs between the SX-3016Fs and TL-SG3452XPs, if the two SX-3016Fs could be stacked, but that’s not a case. Too bad. It would be a nice setup. I don’t think TP-Link makes any stackable switches these days.

Kris K
Options
2023-06-04 09:26:21

@KJK 

Thanks a lot

On which switches i did have to enable the STP (under services)? 

I suggest only on the SX with one with priority 4096 and the other one with default 32768?

And then use LAG on each TL (51/52) with loopback detection on "spanning tree"?

The LAG between the two SX's with "no loopback detection" like if you only LAG between two switches?

Options
Re:Configuration of multiple Switches-Solution
2023-06-04 13:04:16 - last edited 2023-06-04 16:25:37

@rebru 

Enable STP/RSTP on all switches. Disable the loopback detection entirely. These two technologies should not be used together. Give the SX switches higher priority (lower number) than the SG ones. You should not create LAGs on connections with two different switches unless those two switches are stacked. When two different switches are stacked, they act as one. Your SX switches do not support stacking. You need LACP LAGs in such a configuration. LACP LAGs are meant to connect a pair of switches. I would not even try to use something like the round robin or adaptive link aggregation in that configuration. Good luck!

Kris K
Recommended Solution
Options
2023-06-04 13:28:27

@rebru 

Hi,

To configure your switches for high availability, you're encountering connectivity issues when setting up LAG (Link Aggregation) on ports 51/52 of the TL-SG3452XP switches. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Confirm LAG compatibility and ensure consistent LAG settings across switches.
  2. Configure LAG on TL-SG3452XP ports 51/52, considering LAG mode (LACP or static).
  3. Explore setting up a LAG on TL-SX3016F ports 1/2/3 with compatible LAG settings.
  4. Verify cabling and Understanding SFP+ module compatibility.
  5. Consider updating firmware on your switches for potential bug fixes.

Remember to refer to the user manual or seek technical assistance if the issues persist.

Best regards,

Options
2023-06-04 16:24:56

@KJK 

Thanks again

I did finally solve the issue

Did enable STP/RTSP on the SX's with 4096 and 32768 - did delete all LAGS on the TL's and enable on the ports 51/52 spanning tree loopback detection on each TL. Now it works like expected and i can see the STP blocking icons on the second (higher number  in STP/RTSP definition) on the ports connected to the 3 TLs. I was able to unplug some connections from the TL's - after a few second the connection was established again.

The biggest issue was, i did forget to disable loopback detection (by port) on the SX's but since all ports are on spanning tree detection it works like expected. Thanks again for clarifying.

But now im struggling with another issue - did setup the 3 proxmox servers - they have each a card with 4 SFP+ ports (Intel X710-DA4 - 2 port connected to each SX). Doesnt matter how i did configure the bonding (and yes, i did only bond specific to the SX), i was not able to get higher speed then 10Gbit over iperf3.

Options
2023-06-04 21:50:23

@rebru 

Re. your another issue.

Check out the topic TL-SG2008P LACP issue with Synology DS220+.

Kris K
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 564

Replies: 6

Related Articles