Wired NAS connect via RE705X

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-07 02:49:24 - last edited 2023-07-24 11:09:11
Model: RE705X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi, I have a Synology DS418 NAS which doesn't have wi-fi connections so I can only network it over ethernet cables. Due to the noise of the NAS, I can't connect it directly to the router so I'm wanting it connected wirelessly.

I bought a TP-Link RE705X AX3000 Mesh WiFi 6 Extender hoping I could connect the NAS to its ethernet port and use it to access the Wi-Fi network in the setup below.

I can't seem to get this to work and I think I've misunderstood. I thought I could use the ethernet to connect an existing wired network to wireless. What I think it actually meant is to make an existing wired internet accessible wirelessly. They're not the same thing.

Is it possible to use a wireless repeater/access point to connect a wired device to an existing Wi-Fi network? Can I do it with this hardware or do I need something else?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Wired NAS connect via RE705X-Solution
2023-06-07 03:52:03 - last edited 2023-07-24 11:09:11

@Panning 

Hi, yes, the network topology you provided should be able to work properly.

1. please confirm if the RE705X has connected to your router WiFi successfully, you could check the LED status on the RE705X, or connect another wireless client device to the extended WiFi to see if it works

2. when connecting NAS to the RE705X Ethernet port, please check if the NAS has obtained a valid IP address from the main router, if it is using static IP, please try DHCP, also check if the default gateway of the NAS is the main router or the RE705X.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Wired NAS connect via RE705X-Solution
2023-06-07 03:52:03 - last edited 2023-07-24 11:09:11

@Panning 

Hi, yes, the network topology you provided should be able to work properly.

1. please confirm if the RE705X has connected to your router WiFi successfully, you could check the LED status on the RE705X, or connect another wireless client device to the extended WiFi to see if it works

2. when connecting NAS to the RE705X Ethernet port, please check if the NAS has obtained a valid IP address from the main router, if it is using static IP, please try DHCP, also check if the default gateway of the NAS is the main router or the RE705X.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Wired NAS connect via RE705X
2023-07-24 11:09:05

@Sunshine Yep, it works a charm. Looks like I just had the settings on the NAS wrong. Thanks for your response, it gave me faith that it would work eventually.

Suggestion for others: hard wire your equipment to the router and once it's all working ok, add the range extender. Don't just plug it into the range extender from the outset or you could spend days trying to fix something that's not causing a problem.

As an aside, this is an awesome piece of kit. I'm getting just over 80% of the speed I do on my wired network even though this is two rooms away and in a closed cupboard.

Options