XE75 not resolving local hostnames

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-20 15:25:28
Model: Deco XE75  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.1 Build 20230601 Rel. 58453

None of the hosts on my home network can resolve any local hostname via the Deco XE75.  I have services running locally that use host names and these fail now due to the XE75 not resolving any of the hosts on the mesh.

I hope the attached file shows my iMac is expecting the XE75 to resolve host names, but it isn't.

Am I missing something?

File:
Screenshot 2023-06-20 at 16.24.52.jpgDownload
Options
4 Reply
Re:XE75 not resolving local hostnames
2023-06-21 10:26:50

@ksaro1 

Did you try to change the DNS under the DHCP server to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4?

Options
2023-06-21 12:18:12 - last edited 2023-06-21 13:02:53

@Heidi_Alp Sorry, I don't follow? I'm talking about host names on my local network. Remote name servers won't have that information. That should be provided by the Deco. It does list the host names when showing connections. The XE75 does list host names in its Network Map, like shown below:

Local hosts

I currently have one Cloudflare and one of the ISP's DNS server as my DNS servers, which should be shown below:

Options
2023-06-24 17:28:35

Oddly, I've found the answer using Google's Bard! Bard tells me that the Deco XE75 does not act as a DNS server. It merely passes all DNS requests on to the primary and/or secondary DNS servers that are defined. You can configure one of your computers on the local network to act as a local DNS server and have the DECO then use that machine as its primary DNS server. However, this then means that that local computer has to have its DNS host/IP list updated whenever any new hosts join and/or leave the local network. Apparently the default update interval is 60 minutes! And there is no way to change this from either the Deco app or the Web interface.

I've just bought 2 Deco XE75s for my home and so far I like a lot of the features and performance. However, not having the Deco XE75 provide any helpful local DNS services is a real drawback and I can't find this mentioned anywhere in any TP-Link or internet literature. 

Options
2023-07-04 09:48:28

@ksaro1 

Sorry, I was delayed by personal stuff last week. As far as I know, Deco is the default LAN DNS server for the devices connected to the Mesh. But it did not support mDNS or local DNS resolution. You are right that Deco merely passes all DNS requests on to the primary and/or secondary DNS servers that are defined. So that's why I suggest you could set up your own Lan DNS server instead of using the LAN IP of Deco---https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/1855/

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 549

Replies: 4

Related Articles