Adding a new Deco M5 AC1300 to my Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-22 01:29:11 - last edited 2023-06-22 01:36:21
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Built 20230110 Rel 41561

I have 3 Deco M5(3.2) and I purchase 3 more deco M5 to extend my wireless capability at home

When I am trying to add a new Deco I am keep getting error  that the new deco can't connect to Network and they are too Far Apart , here are steps that I have tried 

1) Power all my 3 decos very close to each other few cm away from each other and they are up and running with latest firmware 1.6.5 Built 

2) Power the new Deco and once the light turn flashing blue 

3) From Deco App , click on + Add a Deco Unit

4) Select M5 

5) Via wireless the App couldn't locate the new Deco ( after the second trying ) 

6) Trying setup via Bluetooth 

7) Successful find and locate the new Deco { Found It }

8) Testing connection failed with error that deco are Too far away 

My old Deco are version 3.2 while the new Deco are version 1 will that be the problem?

I tried to connect the new deco via cable to the Main deco but end up with the same error 

Thank you for your help 

Options
4 Reply
Re:Adding a new Deco M5 AC1300 to my Network
2023-06-22 04:34:27

@Nagi_Kozman yes i think the problem is in the version. The new version is too low compared to the old version 3.2. Therefore, the device will not support and catch the network. You need to upgrade the Deco version to 3.2 or higher to be able to connect successfully.

https://eggycar.co
Options
2023-06-22 11:23:12

@unstableaide 

Thank you for your reply, Is version 1 is the latest version 

Can I update the firmware from 1 to 3.2? Will that solve the problem? 

Options
2023-06-22 12:09:00

@unstableaide 

i mean can i upgrade the firware to 3.2 while the hardware is version 1?

Options
2023-06-22 15:49:24

@Nagi_Kozman 

Deco units come with hardware version and firmware version. Hardware version defines hardware components in Deco unit and is not upgradeable. Firmware version is software running on Deco, new firmware versions are released for specific hardware. Firmware is upgradeable.

In theory, adding Deco M5 hardware V1 to mesh of Deco M5 hardware V3.2 should not be an issue. It is firmware that defines Deco functionality.

The issues you have experienced might have come from one of the following:

1. You've got set of defective Deco M5 V1. That becomes strong possibility if you bought them not new.

2. Firmware on these Deco M5 V1 is very old and needs update. But to find firmware version and to update it, you must add Deco to the Deco mesh. Catch-22.

------------------

If you are OK with deleting your Deco mesh configuration and starting fresh, there is an option: delete all your Deco from Deco mesh and with empty mesh add Deco M5 V1 as Main Deco. If you can do that, you will see firmware version and can test WiFi coverage from that M5. 

If you'd rather not delete your existent mesh, your options are more limited.

Options