ER605 V2 - "Lots of connections aka lots of latency"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-25 01:00:29 - last edited 2023-06-25 03:09:56
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Can we just have a chat about the ER605 V2.....  I'm running 2.1.2 firmware which seems pretty solid with the OC200 on thee latest 5.9.32 which seems to work great compared to all the issues we were having.

But to step forward a touch on the ER605.  And I will pose this question very forthcoming here........

The ER605 struggles to handle either lots of connections or a mass bandwidth pull....... often shooting to the moon with latency issues.  And I will put an example.

Say you have a network with 10-20 people........ all doing different tasks...... you are utilising every aspect of the ER605, bandwidth control, quality of services etc.......  you got people doing work, some gaming, some downloading, some torrenting....  

It doesn't handle virtually anything...  this hardware greatly struggles with either alot of connections or someone just downloading at full speed.  Sure bandwidth control will step in causing more latency and quality of services helps....... but only to a point.

We can take Apex Legends as an example I often use.......  You could have a ping to Syndey of 21ms say......  someone downloads something at full pelt will cause it to stutter for a second while bandwidth management grabs it....... to control it and then you'll gain like 50-100ms of latency while that's downloading alot of times.....  Then if you add another PC doing something they shouldn't eg. torrenting ......  

Now TPLinks initial response to me when I bought this up was perhaps you should buy a gaming router......  like an ASUS etc..  but truthfully "Business Routers" are meant to handle this even better realistically.  So an I am sorry for the long winded layout here........ but I have questions.

1.  Stateful vs Stateless Packet inspection.......  the ER605 is Stateful which no doubt eats ALOT of CPU time....  Could we add an option in the firmware to specify what port ranges could be excluded from Stateful Inspection?  Thus improving performance.

2.  Is there a model that has better hardware in it?  I have read alot of the other models run the same CPU etc.  

3.  Again I would like to see if TP Link could had a Dynamic MTU option that could be tuned on a schedule or via the mobile app with your own specified IP to test against etc.  This would aid in NBN Congestion times for example if you could schedule having it self adjust a few times per day (without disconnecting).  If people were complaining about lag or latency if you could click a button either on the mobile or in the panel and it self adjust that would be good.  Good for all users....  

The ER605 has been performing with the Omada very well since the last round of updates...... it has made a giant difference....  So I very much appreciative of TP Link getting them to a point where it's solid.  It does take 10-40 mins to adopt still if something messes up but I find if you just leave it there it eventually sorts itself....  Not something I care about now as I don't mess with it and it's fine just making note.

I do still get the OC200 is connected message on my mobile every few days too randomly......  despite there being no issues.

I could probably do some testing on how many connections vs latency they cause but really I am not a paid TP Link employee so....  

Options
3 Reply
Re:ER605 V2 - "Lots of connections aka lots of latency"
2023-06-26 09:22:18

@MrHC1983 

More powerful?Like ER8411?

Take a look: ER8411(UN)_V1_Datasheet

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-06-26 15:30:34

@MrHC1983 

I've noticed some rather poor performance for a rather specific situation, perhaps what you are seeing.  My ER605 V2 is my home router and if I'm remote, perhaps downloading a large file or streaming content from home, it can totally tank the performance of the Internet for those at home.  My upload bandwidth is 20Mb and even if I set a throttle for downloading to half that, it still seems to impact those at home just trying to stream TV for example.  Even web browsing for users at home is highly impacted by me pulling a large file from home.

I saw this in the new beta firmware which isn't terribly clear but wondering if this possibly solves the issue?

"Fix the bug of high latency in ISP Load in Controller mode."

I'm not completely sure if you have to be on the new beta controller code 5.11.x or not.  So far, they've only released that code for Windows and my controller is a Docker container so I can't upgrade the controller at the moment.  As such, I'm a little hesitant to try this firmware on my router.

Options
2023-06-28 10:24:58 - last edited 2023-06-28 10:25:12

@MrHC1983 

I notice from your other posts that you've installed the beta firmware, but getting some errors.  Have you been able to tell yet if it's resolved the performance/latency issues you were having?

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 870

Replies: 3

Related Articles