Changing to static id wan and lan ip in same subnet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-27 08:07:40
Model: Archer AX3000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello I was told switching to a static ip would help with lag when I stream. When I try to follow the guide on switching I get the error that wan and lan ip cannot be in same subnet. Im not sure what to do...any help is appreciated. 

Options
5 Reply
Re:Changing to static id wan and lan ip in same subnet
2023-06-27 09:06:47

@Coco449 

The WAN IP and the LAN IP must be in different subnets if NAT is enabled.  You should explain your connection setup in more detail if you are looking for help or suggestions.

Options
2023-06-27 09:09:24

@jra11500 

I'm not sure what nat is or which details are needed 

Options
2023-06-27 09:16:28

@Coco449 

NAT stands for Network Address Translation.  It allows your LAN to share a single internet IP address among your devices.  On your router, it is enabled by default.

Back to your problem, what do you have connected in your network?  For example, is the AX3000 WAN port connected to your ISP's modem/router?  It should be connected to a LAN port on the ISP router.  Your streaming device should be connected to a LAN port of the AX3000.  Is this your configuration?

Options
2023-06-27 09:18:43

@jra11500 

Thanks

Yes my archer ax3000 router is connected to the lan port of a Motorola cable modem 

Options
2023-06-27 09:42:38

@Coco449 

The AX3000 gets its IP address in one of two ways, either statically or dynamically.  If it receives its IP address from the cable modem, without any intervention on your part, then it is a dynamic IP address and comes from the DHCP server in the cable modem.  If you want to assign a static IP address, then you must configure the AX3000 manually and assign it an address outside of the cable modem's DHCP server range BUT within the subnet range of the cable modem's LAN subnet.  You will need to access the cable modem interface to find out the DHCP server range (and perhaps change it if necessary).

The same goes for your streaming device.  You manually assign the device an IP address in the device's setup and the address must be outside the range of the AX3000's DHCP server range but within the LAN subnet.

I'm not sure that using a static IP address would help with latency.  The communication between a DHCP server and a device only involves a few data packets and does not repeat itself for several hours (what is known as the lease time).

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1490

Replies: 5

Related Articles