Home network access point setup help and recommendations

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-27 09:34:39 - last edited 2023-06-28 03:39:20
Model: EAP610  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

My house dimension will be around  ~38ft x 36ft.

I wanted to know if my setup will be enough and if there is any better solution or changes.

Note: Partitions of all the rooms will be BRICKS and CEMENT

•  I am planning to get TL-SG2008P as this supports POE.  
  • AP EAP610 V2 will be installed in the middle
  • Two rooms are getting EAP230-Wall (for gaming via ethernet port and wifi ofcourse)
  • One room will get EAP235-Wall (for gaming PC, Storage NAS, wifi)

Here are my questions :

1. I choose the EAP-Wall because the cost of setting up RJ47 ports is the same as buying the EAP-WAll, so i figured it will be easier and the added wifi is a plus. Is this fine?

2. Is hosting the Omeda controller compulsory? I can run in  my True-Nas Scale if needed.

3.  I also have Truenas Scale NAS (it will be probably connected to EAP235-Wall) for basic file and PLEX, nothing heavy, do you think my switch is enough? Any recommendations?

4. Since ill be running 4 APs, how to deal with roaming and switching? Do I give the same SSIDs or give separate for each room?

5. Any other improvement or recommendations on the AP or switch i choose, upgrade or downgrade recommendation.

6. If omeda controller is compulsory and hosted on truenas scale, will my internet and network still work if the shutdown the omeda controller/NAS?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Home network access point setup help and recommendations-Solution
2023-06-27 17:05:16 - last edited 2023-06-28 03:39:20

@Damngflo 

Hey

Hopefully some answers for you below

1. I choose the EAP-Wall because the cost of setting up RJ47 ports is the same as buying the EAP-WAll, so i figured it will be easier and the added wifi is a plus. Is this fine?

There is nothing wrong with that thinking at all :)

2. Is hosting the Omeda controller compulsory? I can run in  my True-Nas Scale if needed.

No its not compulsary, but I would STRONGLY recommend you implement a controller for the 4 APs otherwise its just a chunk of not connected WiFi.  You need the controller for roaming and steering etc..   You can host this yourself, or an OC200 is a very cheap controller!

3.  I also have Truenas Scale NAS (it will be probably connected to EAP235-Wall) for basic file and PLEX, nothing heavy, do you think my switch is enough? Any recommendations?

Most home users wont saturate 1gbps LAN ports, also the switch has 8gbps throughput so this should be more than enough for you.   Moving to 2.5 or 10gb switches adds MUCH more cost all round tbh.

4. Since ill be running 4 APs, how to deal with roaming and switching? Do I give the same SSIDs or give separate for each room?

This is the controllers job.  Power on the APs and setup the controller as you feel necessary.  I have multiple SSIDs on different VLANs (IOT, HOME and CCTV) just cause i want different device types seperated but that is not necessary.  Most poeple go One SSID for all APs.   To do this in the controller setup the SSID as you require, then adopt the APs and they will start to broadcast the SSID automatically.   In terms of roaming and bandsteering.. recommend you enable both on the controller.      In short, ALL config is done via the controller and the APs will automatically adjust to suit that.

5. Any other improvement or recommendations on the AP or switch i choose, upgrade or downgrade recommendation.

If you are going APs and Switch, might be good going full hog and getting the Router also.  That way you can run VLANs if you decide to go that way, also the new controller is bringing in IPS (intrustion protection system) which is cool but will require a router (likely).

6. If omeda controller is compulsory and hosted on truenas scale, will my internet and network still work if the shutdown the omeda controller/NAS?

It will function on a basic level.   However 100% recommend this runs 24/7 as its designed to be powered on all the time.   If you are going to shut you NAS down a lot, better with an OC200 controller.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Home network access point setup help and recommendations-Solution
2023-06-27 17:05:16 - last edited 2023-06-28 03:39:20

@Damngflo 

Hey

Hopefully some answers for you below

There is nothing wrong with that thinking at all :)

No its not compulsary, but I would STRONGLY recommend you implement a controller for the 4 APs otherwise its just a chunk of not connected WiFi.  You need the controller for roaming and steering etc..   You can host this yourself, or an OC200 is a very cheap controller!

Most home users wont saturate 1gbps LAN ports, also the switch has 8gbps throughput so this should be more than enough for you.   Moving to 2.5 or 10gb switches adds MUCH more cost all round tbh.

This is the controllers job.  Power on the APs and setup the controller as you feel necessary.  I have multiple SSIDs on different VLANs (IOT, HOME and CCTV) just cause i want different device types seperated but that is not necessary.  Most poeple go One SSID for all APs.   To do this in the controller setup the SSID as you require, then adopt the APs and they will start to broadcast the SSID automatically.   In terms of roaming and bandsteering.. recommend you enable both on the controller.      In short, ALL config is done via the controller and the APs will automatically adjust to suit that.

If you are going APs and Switch, might be good going full hog and getting the Router also.  That way you can run VLANs if you decide to go that way, also the new controller is bringing in IPS (intrustion protection system) which is cool but will require a router (likely).

It will function on a basic level.   However 100% recommend this runs 24/7 as its designed to be powered on all the time.   If you are going to shut you NAS down a lot, better with an OC200 controller.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Home network access point setup help and recommendations
2023-06-28 17:38:14

@Philbert 

Thanks a lot for your comment. the the EAP wall, it seems like some did not support seamless roaming, any suggestion on those?

Options
2023-06-28 21:46:09

@Damngflo 

Hey

Yeah the EAP 2xx WALL range dont support seamless roaming, mostly due to them being designed for dorms, hotel rooms etc where its not going to be needed / do not want people roaming.. kinda makes sense tbh

However the newer 6xx range of WALL do support roaming, that would be a better choice for you. 

Options
2023-06-30 18:22:08

@Philbert 

Thanks a lot, when joining 2.4ghz and 5ghz does the controller helps in switching depending on the signal? do you recommend using same ssid for both or separate 5 and 2.5?

Options
2023-06-30 19:00:11 - last edited 2023-06-30 19:01:35

@Damngflo 

In the controller just set the SSID for both frequencies, the controller will sort it. . It's generally accepted to use just set an SSID and the AP/controller will handle the frequency stuff

Under advanced setting on controller, enable fast roaming, dual roaming and band steering to 5ghz preference.  That way any device capable of 5ghz will roam from the 2.4 to the 5ghz.    If you get stuck with this there is many posts on the forums for this

It's a process called band steering and works well

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 378

Replies: 5

Related Articles