S7 mutiple issues with advanced network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-30 16:55:04
Model: Deco S7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Recently posted about an issue with the S7 and what I presume is a DHCP problem. But I'm not here to talk about that now. Though I would appreciate if someone could get back to me.

Running S7 in router mode. Main node connected directly to my modem via ethernet. Switch connected to main node. Raspberry Pi DNS server, second node, and a number of wired clients attached to switch. Third node connected wirelessly to network.

Node 2 is showing as a wireless connection to node 1 despite running ethernet. Why?

All wired clients including the DNS server are showing as connected to node 2 rather than node 1. Why?

I believe this is causing various issues. Please can someone explain why this is happening and how to resolve it?

Switch is a TP-Link TL-SG108S

Options
4 Reply
Re:S7 mutiple issues with advanced network
2023-06-30 19:27:36 - last edited 2023-06-30 19:34:20

@AnnoyedUser69 

It appears wired link between your switch and Main Deco is broken. Network layout will be the following and it explains what you see:

Node 2 can't connect by Ethernet to Main Deco, so it establishes wireless backhaul link. Everything wired to switch passes Internet traffic through Node 2. Because of that, every device connected to the switch is shown in Deco app as connected to Node 2. 

This theory is easy to test: do nothing else but power off Node 2. If I am right, all devices wired to the switch will lose Internet after that, which will prove there is no wired link between the switch and Main Deco.

Options
2023-06-30 20:34:29

@Alexandre. Thanks for the suggestion. So I powered off node 2 and that did indeed break everything. I unplugged and replugged the switch ethernet cable and then everything came back online (and appeared correctly under node 1). After that I have since turned on node 2 and that is also displaying correctly (wired connection to node 1 and no connection to wired devices). I am monitoring the network now as the node 1 to node 2 connection has appeared correctly (wired) earlier this week, but it then "broke" leading to this original post. Do you know of any diagnostic tools to test my wired connections?

Options
2023-06-30 20:41:48

@AnnoyedUser69 

There is no simple diagnostic tool I can recommend.

Your switch reports link connection and speed for each port, by LED lights on switch ports. 

This should be enough to tell if link is broken.

Options
2023-06-30 20:53:30

@Alexandre. Would you expect intermittent issues if there was a fault with a wired connection?

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 417

Replies: 4

Related Articles