One Out of Four Deco Units (Random Internet Connectivity)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-05 02:18:57
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.6.5 Build 20230110 Rel. 41561

Long story short, I have 4 Deco M5 units in the house. 3 of them work fantastic but I have one that is plugged in directly with cable that runs in the basement to the other side of the house.  The device it's plugged into is rock solid all the time, however when my phone connects to that deco, it seems to not have internet for at least a few minutes if not longer. 

Eventually it gets internet but often I find myself just disconnecting wifi and using my data on my phone to do something when I'm on that side of the house because I know when it stalls, I'm connected to that puck. 

Has anyone else run into an issue similar to this?  I also have alerts setup when devices connect to our wifi and for testing purposes I left an old phone in that room with the deco that is problematic and a few times a day I get an alert that my phone has connected to the wifi. 

It's really frustrating and I'm hoping there might be a fix for this.  It's just the wifi, because the hard wired device that is plugged into the deco works perfectly 100% of the time. 

Hopefully someone has some suggestions on what can be done to fix this.  

Fast roaming and beamforming is disabled and I've tried both.

Options
7 Reply
Re:One Out of Four Deco Units (Random Internet Connectivity)
2023-07-05 13:57:56

@WiCreekPaddler 

You should enable Fast Roaming back, it is responsible for telling mobile device to move between WiFi mesh nodes. This is unlikely to fix the issue you have, but disabling it degrades somewhat WiFi mesh roaming.

1. Do you run your Deco mesh in its default Router mode?

2. What does Deco app report for that problematic M5: WiFi link or Ethernet link. Example where to find that in Deco app:

If you can share same screenshot from your Deco app, that will help.

3. Did you try with different mobile device, and what was the result? Is problem specific for the phone, or for any device you bring close to that M5?

4. Turn off 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network and see if it made the difference:

5. Swap that M5 with another M5 and see if problem stays or moves with swapped device (that will tell if issue is hardware specific for a single Deco M5, or not).

Options
2023-07-05 14:59:29

@Alexandre. 

1.)  I believe so. 

2.) It reports 'everything looks good'.

3.)  Yes, I've tried multiple mobile devices.  The deco M5 is plugged into the modem directly.  The other port on the deco M5 is plugged into my PC, which never has any issues.  However it's the WIFI for this deco that appears to be an issue.  I've used this deco at another location before we moved and never had the problem. 

4.) I've tried to just enable 2.4ghz and no resolution.  I've also tried to just enable the 5ghz only and still it is problematic. 

5.) I don't have another spare deco to try.  I could try to purchase one on Amazon and see I suppose.

Alexandre. wrote

@WiCreekPaddler 

You should enable Fast Roaming back, it is responsible for telling mobile device to move between WiFi mesh nodes. This is unlikely to fix the issue you have, but disabling it degrades somewhat WiFi mesh roaming.

1. Do you run your Deco mesh in its default Router mode?

2. What does Deco app report for that problematic M5: WiFi link or Ethernet link. Example where to find that in Deco app:

If you can share same screenshot from your Deco app, that will help.

3. Did you try with different mobile device, and what was the result? Is problem specific for the phone, or for any device you bring close to that M5?

4. Turn off 2.4GHz in Deco Main Network and see if it made the difference:

5. Swap that M5 with another M5 and see if problem stays or moves with swapped device (that will tell if issue is hardware specific for a single Deco M5, or not).

Options
2023-07-05 15:30:01

@WiCreekPaddler 

OK, so this is not just "one out of four units" you have problem with, but Main Deco specifically. That fact will eliminate many theories and unnecessary troubleshooting.

You do not need to buy extra unit. Just promote one of Satellite Deco to Main Deco and swap them. The process: Changing the Main Unit for your Mesh Network

To be honest, your situation is quite strange. With my set of M9/M5, I have never observed something like that. To cover all bases:

1. If you disconnect PC from Main Deco, will that make smartphone WiFi connection problem go away?

2. According to your screenshot, you have three Deco M5 and one Deco of different model. Please share Update Deco screenshot so that I can see Deco model names and version numbers from there. Example:

Options
2023-07-05 16:08:32

@Alexandre. 

Well the only deco that has issues with wifi is the one in the office, which is plugged into the main deco downstairs which goes to the modem. 

I don't have issues when I'm on that side of the house and when my phone or laptop is wirelessly attached to any other deco except the office deco unit. 

Not sure if that clarifies anything but I don't believe the main deco unit is an issue. 

1.)  I'll have to do that after work, don't want to mess up my network during a work day. 

2.)

I'll try to unplug the PC later today and post another update if it resolves it. 

When I promote another deco unit, wouldn't that need to be plugged into the modem directly?  Or does that not matter once the network is setup?  In other words it doesn't need to be the main deco that is plugged into the modem?

Just want to verify that it won't mess up all my static IP addresses I have in there as I have 30+ IoT devices on the network set static.  (Our smartphones at home are not one of them though.  Also it persists with laptop wifi if you are near this deco unit and it just connects but no internet)

Options
2023-07-05 16:14:40 - last edited 2023-07-05 16:17:24

@WiCreekPaddler 

I am getting conflicting info from you. You said "The deco M5 is plugged into the modem directly.  The other port on the deco M5 is plugged into my PC, which never has any issues" - which made me believe this is Main Deco.

Now, you are saying "the only deco that has issues with wifi is the one in the office, which is plugged into the main deco downstairs which goes to the modem."

I should have asked you for network diagram, before engaging in troubleshooting.

1. Disregard all I said about "promoting Satellite Deco to Main Deco." You don't need to do that.

2. Take Deco M4R "Antenna" and bring it to where "Office AP" Deco M5 is. Connect M4R to Main Deco and to PC. Take "Office AP" Deco M5 to where M4R was and power it on there. Check if mobile device in the office, near M4R, can get WiFi connection faster.

Options
2023-07-05 16:17:39

@Alexandre. 

I apologize for the confusion. 

The modem is plugged into one of the Deco M5 units.  The other port in that main unit has a long ethernet cable that runs along the basement ceiling to the other side of the house and that plugs directly into the other Deco M5 unit (let's call it the office deco unit).  

One port on the Office deco unit is plugged into the PC (never has any issue), however the wifi given off by the office deco unit is the problem.

Again, sorry about the confusion.  Let me know if you need further information.  Thank you for attempting to help with this.

Options
2023-07-05 16:27:12

@WiCreekPaddler 

My recommendation would be to swap Office Deco M5 with Antenna Deco M4R.

If this is hardware issue with specific M5 unit, the problem will go away. 

Options