Why is the power consumption of EAP so high?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-07-06 11:44:05

Hello, 

after needing more power on my PoE switch I looked more into the power consumption of the EAPs like 653/670/690 and so on and even the smallest ones use a significant amounf of power (13-14 Watts to be preceise). And the 690E HD is just way out of proportion, it consumes 5x more power compared to the added performance.

When looking at my iPhone with an WiFi6 tethering AP, which only uses less then 1 Watt when beeing active, then I ask myself, whats consuming sooo much more power on the EAP. Even the most provider-boxes with integrated WiFi use half of that amount of energy for providing the same WiFi experience and additionally access to the internet and so on.

So whats the deal, are the EAP just super inefficient? The interesting thing is, they use that amount of energy all the time. No matter how many devices are connected and active, and the radio signal strength also doesnt play into account, even when all radios are set to low the power consumption remains the same.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Why is the power consumption of EAP so high?
2023-07-07 03:46:30

@RobertMEF 

From my knowledge, the Power Consumption on the Spec should be the Max. value.

Where did you see the current power consumption of EAP? I wanna check mine, too. wink

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-07-07 07:27:50 - last edited 2023-07-07 07:31:33

@RobertMEF 

not really sure what you complaining about. yeah, I know you talking about power consumption. that's totally normal for an ap to draw 10-15 watts of power. 

not even to say an 802.3 be ap 690e. 

if you take a look at the common products out there, on the market, many wifi 6 or wifi 6e products consume a similar amount of power. 

take a look at the ax11000 in soho products, archer ax11000(adapter is a 60w one), deco xe200, wifi6e, 50w or so. 

then what's wrong with an ap to draw 802.3at (15-30w)?

even if you use a NUC, it draws at least 10w as a router. regardless of antenna power draw. calculate this with pure hardware consumption.

setting the power to a lower dbm won't make a difference. 

what you set, it's just pure hardware power consumption to keep things running. 

if you are familiar with CPU stuff, you'll know. size of the die and architecture, the nanometers, mostly determine the power consumption. there is nothing to whine about. you can use a mac mini m1 chipset as a router. that's efficient enough but costs you a mount. 

not to mention these wifi routers/aps' chipsets, CPU, are worse than consumer CPUs like apple, amd and intel. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2023-07-07 10:07:21

@Virgo 

Virgo wrote

@RobertMEF 

From my knowledge, the Power Consumption on the Spec should be the Max. value.

Where did you see the current power consumption of EAP? I wanna check mine, too. wink

I have a smart-meter and when I turn of everything except my network than I can see every single watt of power draw. When I disconnect the EAPs for example from the PoE switch, then the power draw goes down by 13 watts. 

So I fiddeling around with the settings in the EAP but that didnt change anything on my graphs.

Options
2023-07-07 10:13:28

Tedd404 wrote

@RobertMEF 

if you take a look at the common products out there, on the market, many wifi 6 or wifi 6e products consume a similar amount of power. 

take a look at the ax11000 in soho products, archer ax11000(adapter is a 60w one), deco xe200, wifi6e, 50w or so. 

this is just the rated power of the power supplies. When you actually measure them its way less. I have two providers, each supplied me with a router with integrated modem and WiFi. Both have integrated WiFi 6 that has almost the same performance like a single EAP. 

But they need just 5-7 Watts of power for everthing

Tedd404 wrote

@RobertMEF 

even if you use a NUC, it draws at least 10w as a router. regardless of antenna power draw. calculate this with pure hardware consumption.

this is incorrect. An Intel NUC will go as low as 3 watts, I have one running as NAS and home-server, and the lowest is 2 watts, 10 Watts only when there is really a lot going on.

Tedd404 wrote

@RobertMEF 

if you are familiar with CPU stuff, you'll know. size of the die and architecture, the nanometers, mostly determine the power consumption. there is nothing to whine about. you can use a mac mini m1 chipset as a router. that's efficient enough but costs you a mount. 

not to mention these wifi routers/aps' chipsets, CPU, are worse than consumer CPUs like apple, amd and intel. 

I guess Im more familiar with that then you are. There is no CPU in an EAP or something like that (at least I hope not, that would be overkill and explain a lot). These are highly specialized chipsets just designed to do what they need to do. Even with 130Nm they could go as low as 1 Watt for the chipset itself. Because there are not billions of transistors but just millions. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 380

Replies: 4

Related Articles