tl-sg3210xhp-M2 Fan Noise

2023-07-13 14:39:45 - last edited 2023-07-14 02:20:40
Model: TL-SG3210XHP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.12

Has anyone succeded in bringing the fan noise down on this switch?

thanks

HA

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:tl-sg3210xhp-M2 Fan Noise-Solution
2023-07-14 02:19:25 - last edited 2023-07-14 02:20:40

Hi @HomeAdmin

Regarding the noise you experience, I understand that is quite loud for certain groups of people. It is normal to have this noise from a high-end switch and this fan speed does not change regardless of the clients and forwarding traffic due to it being at default speed.
To our knowledge, the reason for the loud fan noise is that our new version has set the fan speed to a constant high speed to dissipate the heat generated by your model. The root cause for this is the new power supply we use for the new version. To avoid throttling and overheating, therefore, we set the fan to a constant high speed to keep it cool and steady.  
We recommend you place the switch in a server cabinet to avoid noise. Appreciate your understanding and feedback.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:tl-sg3210xhp-M2 Fan Noise-Solution
2023-07-14 02:19:25 - last edited 2023-07-14 02:20:40

Hi @HomeAdmin

Regarding the noise you experience, I understand that is quite loud for certain groups of people. It is normal to have this noise from a high-end switch and this fan speed does not change regardless of the clients and forwarding traffic due to it being at default speed.
To our knowledge, the reason for the loud fan noise is that our new version has set the fan speed to a constant high speed to dissipate the heat generated by your model. The root cause for this is the new power supply we use for the new version. To avoid throttling and overheating, therefore, we set the fan to a constant high speed to keep it cool and steady.  
We recommend you place the switch in a server cabinet to avoid noise. Appreciate your understanding and feedback.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:tl-sg3210xhp-M2 Fan Noise
2023-07-14 10:44:19

@Clive_A, since I don't have a server cabinet the noise level is close to unaaceptable.

Perhaps engineering should consider PWM fans that would spin up as the power consumption increases.

At the moment the switch is running at 4.3% of POE.

In addition, it appears from a google search this has been a known issue for a while and solution appears to be to replace the factory supplied fans with Noctua fans https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W93333/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1Z5H6ZGWCMTNX&psc=1.

My switch is v1 so I don't think it is a new unit.

Thank you for your attention

HA

Options
2023-12-14 08:29:58

@HomeAdmin I just received the new SG3428X-M2 and to my disappointment the FAN noise is ridiculous in a quiet office - the only answer is to purchase a Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM and replace the factory one!!!  We are talking a €16 investment here !?! One would expect a switch in this price category to have a decent fan solution!!!  I also have the QSW-M2108 from QNap - also 2.5 Gig switch and 2x 10G - doesn't have a noise problem!!  I'm starting to regret my purchase . . . .

Options
2023-12-27 18:31:20 - last edited 2023-12-27 18:31:53

@HomeAdmin @Spanky66 

You always have possibility und open the switch and change the fans. Like I did.

Noiseblocker Fans are very good for it.

40x40x10mm Noiseblocker BlackSilentFan XM2 3800 U/min 14 dB(A) 

also, Xilence does it too.

40x40x11mm Xilence F031 XPF40.W 4500 U/min 19 dB(A)

Please have in mind, fans pins (3 pins) are industrial type so, you have to change pin 2 and 3 to make "pc fans" work in that switch

Options
2023-12-27 18:50:54

@kogan Thanks for the Tip!  Just a word of caution, the header pins are hot glued from the original fan ?!? If replaced with an afermarket, you also void your warranty as well frown

Happy New Year in Advance

Options