Range extender and Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Range extender and Mesh

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Range extender and Mesh
Range extender and Mesh
2023-07-13 20:42:43 - last edited 2023-07-19 01:14:36
Model: RE700X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello everyone!

I am interested in a RE700X. I have ethernet cables running from the router (not TP link) through the walls in the apartment to every room. I would like to place a RE700X in every room and connect it to the router with an ethernet cable for a maximum performance. In that case, the RE700X should be configured as an access point. I would then disable my router's WiFi to stop any interference between RE's WiFi and my router's. My question is, would the rest 3 RE700Xs work as a mesh in this case? (with ethernet backhaul). Is there then a single WiFi network for both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz emitted from all 3 RE700X? Would any roaming devices seamlessly connect to the strongest RE at any given moment? All the static devices shouldn't be a problem as they would be connected to the RE with the strongest signal at any moment. I have found contradicting information on the internet, but I think the RE with the ethernet backhaul don't support onemesh. Do any other TP link RE support it? Or should I buy Deco (for example X50 PoE) and do the same exact thing as I mentioned? Thank you for your answers!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Range extender and Mesh-Solution
2023-07-13 21:17:58 - last edited 2023-07-19 01:14:36

@mirio2 

OneMesh is not supportted when the RE is in AP mode.

You have two options in this case:

1) Follow your initial intention and connect all 3 REs in AP mode to your router. You can name the 2.4&5 GHz SSIDs on all 3 REs the same.

This won't be a mesh network but your device will roam according to the strongest wireless signal.

2) Buy Deco units and connect them to your router in AP mode - this will give a true Deco mesh network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Range extender and Mesh-Solution
2023-07-13 21:17:58 - last edited 2023-07-19 01:14:36

@mirio2 

OneMesh is not supportted when the RE is in AP mode.

You have two options in this case:

1) Follow your initial intention and connect all 3 REs in AP mode to your router. You can name the 2.4&5 GHz SSIDs on all 3 REs the same.

This won't be a mesh network but your device will roam according to the strongest wireless signal.

2) Buy Deco units and connect them to your router in AP mode - this will give a true Deco mesh network.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Range extender and Mesh
2023-07-14 05:16:43 - last edited 2023-07-14 05:22:48

@terziyski 

Thank you for your reply. If I decide to go with the first option, it won't be a mesh network just in a sense that the REs won't communicate with it each other. Everything else is the same. Seamless transition doesn't depend on the fact that it is a mesh or access point network because the seamless transitioning is done by the device that connects to the network.

My apartment is around 80m2 (850 sqft). Would 3 REs be an overkill? The distance between them would be 1-2 (3 meters), 1-3 (5 meters), 2-3 (8 meters).

Options
2023-07-14 06:54:20 - last edited 2023-07-14 12:32:09

@mirio2 

Yes, switching to a better wireless signal depends on the client device, but seamless roaming can be achieved in a mesh network environment.

Check the EasyMesh animation examples in its description page. Your wireless client device should also supports these standards (802.11k/v - Q3) though.

One pack Deco X50 (in AP mode) will cover near 200m2 - tech specs.

In 80m2 apartment an Archer AX53 near the center of the premises (in AP mode) will cover the entire apartment.

If you decide to go for RE700X, you could buy initially two of them and only if it's necessary buy a third one.

Options
2023-07-14 07:50:00

@terziyski 

Normally, my router should also support the WiFi signal for the whole apartment but the thing is, I don't like many open cables because it gathers dust so that is why the main router is in a closet. I then need just the directly plugable RE in every room since the ethernet cables are already in every room. This way I minimize the tech equipment standing in the open. I think I am going with the RE700X then. Thank you! :)

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 592

Replies: 4

Related Articles